Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Chapter 71

The two weeks before the show were crazy for everyone.  The bands were doing TV and radio interviews.  Marc was about to take his sister’s head off because she would slack during rehearsal.  “God DAMN IT, JORDAN!  You know that I have to have this as close to perfect as possible.  If you don’t stop acting like a retard, you’re going to have a Michael Jackson incident”, he cursed over the system.  “Have you lost your mind?”

“What do you mean, a Michael Jackson moment?” she asked.

“Michael Jackson was known during his day as the King of Pop.  Now, I’m fuzzy on when in his career it happened, but at some point he had a really nasty experience with some pyro that went off and burn him to shit.  If you don’t stop acting like a retard, you’re going to get burnt.  Now, hit the proper marks or risk the consequences.”

“Are we practicing with the actual pyro?”

“No.  We have practice rounds set up”, he said sarcastically.  “Yes, Jordan, we have live pyrotechnics set up to practice with.  We’re not doing a ‘dress rehearsal’ until the day before.  By the way, that’s in two days.  And I STILL don’t have the timing for your pyro down.  You need to take this seriously or you’re going to get hurt come game day.”

She sighed.  “I’m sorry, Marc.  Let’s run through this minus music, then we’ll do it with the music.  Or do you need us to play?”

“I know where the cues go.  I need to get the timing of the cues down.  So, I need you to play.  We have party poppers to set off so that I get the timing, but you have to hit the proper marks.  I would hate to see you maimed, Jord.”

“Ok.”  She looked at the guys.  “Take it from the top of the set.”  She looked back at Marc.  “Is this just the timing for the pyro?”

“No, it’s timing for everything.  I have to have the video synched with the music the lighting the pyro.  I’m the visual effects director for this entire production.  So far, you’re the only one that’s been giving me problems.”
She paled.  “Sorry, bro.  I’m being a pill.  We’ll do this right.”  She looked at Malachai.  “Start us off, ‘Chai.”
Malachai started playing, and Jordan started hitting the marks she needed to hit for the pyrotechnics.  About midway through the set Matt and Syn came out and they ran the songs that they were doing with Reckless Disregard.  Everything was finally set.  Marc looked up at the stage.  “Thank you for finally cooperating, Jordan.  Your wife and son will thank us both when you come off of the stage without some much as a singed hair.”

Jordan laughed.  “Glad to hear it.  Who’s next?”

“I think Disturbed is next because I have to get the timing and designs for the laser display they want to do down and thankfully that’s all for the day.  He looked back at the LCD screen that was situated behind the drum kit.  “I love that stagger set up that they have for that monster.  And the fact that it’s ultra high definition is ever better.  If they would only do 3D, man.  That would be the shit.”

“Sorry to disappoint you, Marc”, David said from the stage as the drum kit was being switched out.  “Buying the 3D glasses for everyone would be a lot of money.  I want to travel with your mother after we move.”

“What about Samson and Delilah?”

“My dogs go with me to Israel.  End of discussion.”

Marc laughed as his uncles strapped up and/ or got in place.  “But Samson’s my boy, Dad.  He’s my buddy.”

“He’s also getting old.  Did Jake take them to the vet like I asked?”

“Yeah, the problems moving around are arthritis.  The vet said don’t worry, he’s got them on meds for it.  And if they get too bad, bring them back.”

“And he’ll do what I really don’t want him to do.”  David sighed.  “Oh well, it’s a part of life.  I’ll talk to your Mom about the dogs then after we’re done here.  Maybe I’ll leave the dogs here and buy new ones.”

Marc laughed.  “Then let’s work on this laser show.”

Dan started playing the intro to the first song with the laser display and Marc started working furiously on the programming for the designs they wanted.  David looked out at Marc once the show was over.  “Did you get what you needed?”

Marc nodded.  “It’s all done for that song.  I still need to tweak ‘Indestructible’ and ‘Stupefy’.  There are a few things I want to be sure are spot on before the big rehearsal the day after tomorrow.”

“Which one do you want first?”

“Which one are you playing first?”

David laughed.  “Good point.  Are you going to do the air raid siren?”

“That was that plan, wasn’t it?”

“Just checking.  It starts with you.”

Marc laughed and started up the air raid siren so that they had all of the sound effects they needed for the song and as it played, he played the laser show and watched.  If it needed tweaked, he did so, but for the most part he just sat back and enjoyed the show.

----------------

Marc was up the whole night before the big rehearsal working on the programming for the different parts of the show.  “Something isn’t right.  I know it.  Something’s just not adding up!”

Mercedes ran her nail up and down the length of his spine.  “Marky, baby, why don’t you take a break from that and let me help you clear your head?” 

He sighed and looked up at her.  “Baby, I just know something isn’t right.  You have no idea how frustrating that is.”  He ignored the sheer lacey nigh gown she wore.

“Let me take your mind off of it for a few minutes and I’m sure you’ll figure it out.”  She turned his head so that he was looking at her and pressed her lips to his as she forced him to roll onto his back so that she could straddle his hips.  She knew that he was troubled and the only way she knew to clear his head was to relieve the stress she knew he was feeling.   And that meant resorting to doing things to him that she’d only heard that his father did to his mother and vice versa.

He dropped his iPad off the edge of the bed and into the floor.  As she settled in above him, he felt himself relax into his kiss.  Groaning low in his throat, his hands went straight to resting on her hips as she worked him up.

Once she felt he was ready, she kissed her way down his body until she reached his shaft.  Her eyes rolled up to look at his face as she tugged his pajamas off of his hips.  She wrapped her lips around his shaft and watched his eyes roll into the back of his head.  She was going to take his mind off of the show at all costs.

His breathing became shallow as he reached up and grabbed a couple of pillows and placed them under his head.  His hand went to her head and his fingers laced in her black curls to pull them out of her face.  He started muttering under his breath; not something he usually did when she was playing him like a flute.  Out of nowhere, he cried out, “That’s it!”

Mercedes pulled away, straddled.  “What?”

“Baby, I love you.  I figured out what was wrong.  I just had to relax a little. Baby doll, you’re a fucking genius.  And I mean that literally.”  He scooped the iPad up off of the floor and started going crazy as he tapped and made the adjustments he needed to make.  “Yes!  That’s it!  Marc Draiman, you are a bad mother fucker when it comes to computers”, he said to himself as he works.

Mercedes looked over his shoulder as he worked.  “I’m glad I helped you figure out what was wrong”, she said with uncertainty.

“And… DONE!” he said and dropped the iPad on the floor.  He rolled back onto his back and looked at the girl he loved.  She had strange eyes for her nationality.  Her eyes were blue.  He’d asked her about it once and she told him that both of her parents were actually Hispanic.  They were from Spain.  Her father’s eyes were brown and he’d never met her mother.  There weren’t even pictures of the woman that bore the beauty he was going to make his wife.  Maybe one day, he’d learn about her, but now was not the time to ask.  Now was the time to thank the raven haired Goddess in his bed for the inspiration.  His hands brushed her hair back as she looked down at him.  “What are you thinking, gorgeous?”

“Well I was thinking, now that you have that problem fixed, can we finish what we started?”

He smiled his father’s mischievous smile as he pulled her down.  His abs bunched as he sat up to meet her.  Their lips met and the spark was reignited.  It wasn’t long before she had resumed what she was doing before.

---------------

“What’s going on with those two?” Brie asked David as they got ready for bed.

“Which two?”

“Marc and Mercedes.”

“Marc’s in love, baby.  He wants to marry her.”

“Wow.  I thought he was smitten with her.  I’m glad he happy with her.”

“Jake told me yesterday that Jessi’s bringing her new boyfriend for the show.  We’ll actually get to meet him tomorrow.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, and per her request, he wouldn’t even give me his name.”

“I wonder if he’s Arabic and his name is Achmed or something”, Brie laughed.

David laughed.  “I doubt it, but the fact that she doesn’t want me to know his name does have me worried.”

“Maybe his name is Ned.”  Brie was all giggles.  She couldn’t help herself.

“Would you stop speculating, baby?” David was laughing as well.

“I can’t help it.  It’s my nature.”  She took a deep breath.  “Baby, I’m sure the boy’s fantastic and we’ll love him.  I mean, did Jake voice any concern that we shouldn’t like him?”

“Nope.”

“Then he’ll be fine.  We’ll see the young man tomorrow and I’m sure that he’ll be respectful unlike that last jerk she brought home.  What was his name?  Jeremy?”

“Yeah.  I believe that was his name.  Jessi called him Remy, I think.”  He shrugged.  “I just hope this young man treats our daughter with respect.”

---------------

The small apartment they shared on campus was full of tension as she ironed their jeans for the next day.  “Are you sure he’s going to like me, Jess?” the young man asked.

“I’m sure, baby.  As long as you’re respectful and it seems like you’re trying to do something with yourself, my father will love you.  My brothers all seem to like you.”

He nodded.  “I just want to make a good impression.  It’s really important to me that your father approves of me.  Eventually, I’m going to ask for your hand.”

“Honey, don’t sweat it.  I’m sure that Jake has called Dad and let him know that you’re a great guy.”

“But what if Jake didn’t give me a glowing review?”

“If he liked you, he will.  Jake’s not like that.  If he doesn’t like you, he’ll let you know.  He doesn’t beat around the bush.”

“What about your mother?  Will she like me too?”

“Why are you freaking out, baby?  Of course they’ll like you.”

“I guess I’m just nervous.  I heard the story about the last guy you brought home.”

She laid her hands on his face and kissed his chin.  “Look, they’re going to be awesome.  They’ll love you, David.  I know they will.”

No comments:

Post a Comment