Thursday, May 19, 2011

Chapter 66

Jake was in the living room with the rest of his siblings as they all awaited the birth of their newest nephew.  He took the chance he had to close his eyes and catch some sleep and tried to ignore the bickering of his brothers and sisters.  "They'll let me back before they allow anyone else in the room", he heard Jordan said.

"Yeah, in your dreams", Jessi said.  "I'm Jona's favorite."

"No, neither of you are going back before anyone else if it's left up to me", David said sternly from his seat on the couch he that he usually shared with his wife.  He was doing like Jake and resting his eyes.

"Anyway, I'm sure that once Jona starts allowing people back, it's going to be grandparents first", Skyler said as he sat in one of the big arm chairs.  He and David had their stun guns sitting in their laps.  They were both being smart and making sure that none of the girls could get their hands on them.

"Actually, the only person going into that room before Jona has that baby is going to be Jake so that he can check him out and check Jona out as well", Brie said as she padded down the stairs to go into the Kitchen.

"What brings you down here, love?" David asked, his eyes still closed.

"I'm getting some ice chips for Jona and a bottle of water for Jeremiah to drink while we wait on Jona to dilate enough to push", she said as she came out of the kitchen.  She checked the satellite for the time.  It was officially her husband's birthday.  She paused long enough to give him a kiss on the forehead.  "Happy Birthday, baby.  Jeremiah and Jona's birthday present to you should be here in a matter of a couple of hours.  When Miah came and woke us up, she was at 6 cm dilated and 75% effaced."

"So, what do you estimate for Matthew's arrival?"

"Four hours on the outside.  I have a few tricks up my sleeve to move things along if need be.  Miah's got her up moving around and walking.  When she has a contraction she leans on him.  I'm doing what I can, but there's really not a lot that I can do other and stimulate a few Shiatsu points or Reflex zones to get her moving.  I'm not really needed until it's time to push.  I'm just in there for moral support right now and to check her progress.  Now, if you'll all excuse me, I need to go check on Miss Jona again."

David caught her hand and kissed the back of it before letting her leave.  "Let us know how everything goes, baby."

"You know I will." She bent down and kissed his head again before she headed up the stairs.

"So, when Jona and 'Miah let us upstairs", Skyler started, "who gets to hold the baby first?  Me or you?"

David chuckled.  "This your first grandchild, Skyler.  It's only fair that you get to hold him first."

---------------

Jona was up and moving around when Brie slipped back into the room.   the moment that the door closed Jona reached for Jeremiah and wrapped her arms around his neck.  "Just breathe, baby.  I'm here and I'm not going anywhere."  He rubbed her back and she took slow deep breathes.

Brie looked at Kaylian.  "How far apart are the contractions?"

"About three minutes and lasting about two."

"'Miah, after that contraction, get her back over here in the bed.  I need to check her again."

'Miah just nodded.  "No problem. Mom.  We'll be there in a minute or two."  He went back to whispering words of encouragement to his wife.  Once the contraction was over, he helped her move slowly back to the bed.  She had one more contraction before reaching the bed. 

Once she was in and settled,  Brie checked her progress.  "Jona, dear, when I left you were six and seventy- five.  You're making a liar of me."

"How is that?"

"You're eight and eighty now and he's making his way down the birth canal rather nicely.  I'm going to estimate another hour and a half.  Girl, if you keep going like this, you're going to make your father in law a very happy man."

"How is that?"

"He and I will be one and one in the unspoken 'Number of Grandbabies born on our birthday' contest", she laughed.  "I need you to be still and sit straight up for me.  When you feel like you need to push, yell for me.  I'm going to go grab the warm towels out of the dryer and get Jake to get his things."  She popped off the gloves that she'd snapped on to check  he progress.

"What things?"  Jona managed to ask before she was hit with another contraction.

"Just things to check you and Matthew out with.  He's also going to grab the paperwork for the birth certificate."  She looked at her son and his mother in law.  "Keep her still until I get back.  No more moving around."  And she was out the door.

---------------

"Jacob, I need to you get the things we discussed the other day", she said when her feet hit the landing.

"Is the baby breech?"

"No, his in perfect position, but you're going to need to get the things to do stitches."

"Why is that?" David asked as he reloaded the stun gun he was using.

"She's progressing rather quickly and it seems that little Matthew has a big head."  She counted her children.  There were only seven visible aside from Jacob.  "Where is Jessykah?"

"I scared her when she went toward the stairs", David chuckled.

"You didn't shoot her did you?"

"Nope, I shot the wall next to her."

Brie breathed a sigh of relief.  "Good.  I need to head back up.  I hear screaming."  She ran into the laundry room, grabbed the arm full of towels out of the dryer and ran back up the stairs to get deliver her newest grandson.

"GOD IT FUCKING HURTS!!!" she heard Jona scream as she crested the top of the stairs.

"I know it hurts, baby", Kaylian said.

When she opened the door she saw Jona leaning forward with her head against Jeremiah's shoulder as her mother rubbed her back.   "Breathe, baby, breathe.", Jeremiah kept saying.

"You experience this level of pain and let me tell you to breathe, you pain in my ass!", Jona barked.

Jeremiah didn't take it personally.  It was one of the things Brie was sure he got from his father.  She knew she had called David a few very mean things that were brought on by the pains of labor and he just shrugged it off.  Hell, when Maddie was born she had called her husband everything but a decent white man in every tongue she knew.

When the contraction ended, Jona sat back against the pillows and took a deep breath.  "I'm sorry, Miah."

"It's ok, baby.  I know you didn't mean anything by it.  Pain does funny things to the mind when it inflicts itself upon the body."

---------------

Jona was moved to the edge of the bed where she was going to push.  She had completely dilated and little Matthew was crowning.  "Ok, Jona, I need you to take a deep breath for me with the next contraction and push with everything you've got", Brie coached from where she was going to deliver her newest grandson.

The next contraction hit and Jeremiah and Kaylian lifted Jona's feet into the air as Jona took a deep breath and started pushing.  Brie started counting, "One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten.  Get a deep breath and push.  One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten.  Relax."

"I can't do much more of this", Jona panted.

"You're doing beautifully, baby", Jeremiah as he held her and kissed her sweat covered forehead.  "Our son is almost here.  Just keep in mind that our baby boy is almost here."

"I'm so tired, 'Miah.  I just want to sleep."

"I know, baby, I know.  Our little Mattie is almost here.  I'll take care of him and you can get some rest."

All Jona did was nod as another contraction came on.  Her feet flew into the air again and started pushing again.  Brie counted to ten twice more and then Jona relaxed.

"Two more pushes and you'll have a baby, Jona.  He's almost here", Brie said.  "You're so close."

"He's almost here, baby", 'Miah said.

The next contraction came on and Jona screamed from the pain as she pushed.  Brie just kept counting over the sound of Jona's cries of pain.   Brie pulled little Matthew from Jona's body and cleaned out the little boy's airways.  His first breath of life became a scream as he cried.  Brie smiled and handed the bloody little boy to his mother.  "Congratulations, Jona and Jeremiah... you have a healthy little boy."

No comments:

Post a Comment