Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Chapter 57

David and Brie were up early to catch their flight and were greeted by the smiling faces of their youngest son and his newest girlfriend.  "Good morning, Mom and Dad", Marc said with a shit eating grin.

David laughed.  "Good morning, Marc.  How are you this morning?"

"Not bad, Pop.  In fact, I'm so good you can't even begin... nevermind, I've seen the grins you get after Mom gives you a little bit of morning happy."

"Morning happy?"

"He means after I..." Brie started and stretched up to whisper in his ear.

"Yeah.  I know what he meant.  I haven't heard it put that way since Mandy was pregnant with Eli.  It was messed up then and it's messed up now."  David let out a chuckle them looked at the hispanic beauty that had crawled out of the game room with Marc.  "Good morning, Mercedes.  How are you doing?"

"Good morning, Mr. Draiman.  I'm doing well.  How are you this morning?" she asked with a smile.

"Not too bad.  Thanks for asking.  Did you two have a good date last night?"

"Oh yeah, I murdered him at air hockey last night."

"That's nice.  Since you two are up, are you going to run us to the airport, Marc?"

"Can if you want me to rather than waiting on Jake to get in from work", Marc said with a shrug.

"He worked last night?"

"Yeah, the loser.  I keep telling him to just chill out and take it easy.  It would do him some good to take advice from baby brother, but will he ever do that?  No, because he's a pussy."

"Be sure to call him that to his face, Christopher", Brie said as she picked up her laptop case off of the counter top of the bar.

"Oh, I have Mom.  He hates it, but he won't do anything about it."

David and Brie rolled their eyes and laughed.  "Just take us to the airport, Marc", David said.

"Let us change our clothes and we'll meet you at my car."

---------------

They dropped Mercedes off on the way to Denver.  When Marc pulled into the driveway, Mercedes pouted.  "But, I don't wanna go home", she said.

"I'll be right back to get you after I drop my folks off at the airport.  Hell, your Dad's in India shooting the movie I'm going to work on in post.  I can always come back here and keep you company", he said with a grin.

"You'd do that for little ole' me?"

"Of course.  You're so funny.  Like I could let you sit around in this big ole' house and be lonely."

David cleared his throat.  "Excuse me, love birds, but you do have people sitting in the back seat that are on a schedule.  We have places that we have to go."

Mercedes blushed.  "Sorry, Mr. Draiman.  I'll go so that Marc can take you guys to the airport."

Marc leaned in and kissed Mercedes meaning for it to be chaste, but the moment their lips touched something awoke in him that he'd spent the last eight years fighting to control.  The kiss became wild until Brie and David cleared their throats.  He forced himself to pull away.  "I'll be back soon, sexy.  Wear those boots you know I like when I come back."

"You have a dirty mind, Marc Draiman."

"It's a bit of a prerequisite.  Look at who my father is."  He kissed her one more time and made it chaste.  "I have to go, gorgeous.  I'll be back in a couple of hours."

"Ok, Marky.  I'll look cute for you."  She got out of the car and he watched as she walked to the front door.  Once he saw that she was inside he turned around and pulled out of the driveway.  He sighed and took one hand off of the steering wheel to adjust his shorts, then went back to keeping both hands on the wheel.

"What's going on with you two, Marc?" Brie asked.

"What do you mean?"

"If she were just a fuck, you would have pulled away without caring if she got to the house safely or not.  You wouldn't have even given her a ride home, let alone brought her home.  Again I ask, what's going on with you two?"

"She's my girlfriend, Mom.  I think I'm falling in love with her.  I feel for her the way I've never felt for anyone I've ever been with."

"Including the seven girls you were with the night you lost your virginity?" David asked.

"I'm going to kill James for telling you guys about that.  My deviant behavior is really none of anyone's business as long as I'm not hurting anyone."

They shrugged.  "You're right."

He shrugged.  "I know.  Anyway, yes, Dad.  Even them.  Mercedes just this way about her that just has me hypnotized."

David couldn't help but chuckle.  "I know the feeling, Marc.  You don't have to explain."

"Eventually, I might even ask her to marry me.  I don't think I could live my life without her in it."

"Again, you don't have to explain.  I know where you're coming from.  Believe me.  I feel the same thing about your mother."

Marc smiled.  "What about you, Mom?"

"I have to echo what your father's said.  I know how you feel.  Been there, done that.  Wrote the book, burnt the t- shirt."

Marc chuckled.  "You two are great.  I'm sure my brothers and sisters have all said same thing, but I feel like I have to reiterate."

"You're not the first and you won't be the last, son.  We're used to it.  You've all said it a million times and  we're sure you'll all say it a million more."

---------------

Once they boarded the plane and were settled in their seats, David and Brie discussed what had happened on the trip from home to the airport.  "That boy is a hot mess", Brie laughed.

"What makes you say that?"

"I don't think that poor boys knows what he wants right now."

"He's 20, baby.  I don't remember knowing what I wanted at his age."

"How different do you think our lives would be if you weren't who you are now, though?"

"Who knows?  Maybe we would have found each other have all the kids we have.  Things would have been a little more difficult, but we would have managed."

She smiled and kissed him.  "How is it that you always know what to say?"

"Haven't I asked you the exact same question several times over the thrity years we've been together?"

She laughed.  "Yes, you have."  She turned to where she could rest against his chest.  "I love you, David."

"I love you too, Brie.  Now, let's try to enjoy the time away so and find our house.  I plan to put a down payment on it as soon as we find the place you and I are call home by this time next year."

"You remembered to tell the agent my criteria right?"

"Something small enough for the two of us, a shared office, and a spare room for the grandkids.  Yes, I remembered."

"Ok.  I'd hate to have to chew her ass when if she didn't listen."

"Believe me, I'm going to be the one to chew her ass should she ignore us.  We've been through this two other times."

She smiled.  "As long as it's handled.  I just hope that she doesn't take us back to that place that set me on edge the first time we went out to look for a house."

"She's taken us to that house a couple of times, hasn't she?"

"Yep."

"Well, if she ignores us again, I'll find another real estate agent."

She smiled and snuggled in against him as close as she could.  "Sounds like a plan to me."

---------------

Landing in Jerusalem was easy.  It was a long flight, but it didn't feel like it was that long.  When they got off of the plane they were greeted by the shrill squealling of their youngest daughter in excitement.  They were sure that her squealling was going to make them both deaf she was so high pitched.  "We're glad to see you too, Jessi.  But, sweetie, we need our hearing", David said with a laugh.

"I know, I'm sorry, but I'm just so happy you're here.  We're going to spend all kinds time together while I'm not in class."

"No, sweetheart, we're not.  Your mother and I are here to find the house we're moving into when I finally retire."

Jessi looked stunned.  "I thought you two were coming out to see how I was doing in school."

"No, Jessykah.  We're here to find a house.  We'll spend time with you and hang out with you when we're not looking for a house, but that's the purpose of this trip."

Jessi frowned.  "That sucks.  Can we have dinner together at least?"

"Dinner tonight?"

"Yeah."

"Can it wait until tomorrow night?  We're pretty tired."

"Why?"

"The flight.  We're jet lagged", Brie said with a smile.

Jessi smiled back.  "Ok.  We can do dinner tomorrow.  It will give me a chance to finish the paper I'm working on."

"See, it's a good thing we can't do it tonight, huh?"

"Yeah, kinda.  I'll have a jump start on that paper that's due next week."

"It's aleays nice to get a head start."

No comments:

Post a Comment