Sunday, May 1, 2011

Chapter 53

The three months to Kimberly's due date passed quickly.  James had just started going to class regularly and was doing well.  Another local student and he were working on a project due at the end of the semester on big cases of the 20th and 21th centuries.  They didn't have to be supreme court cases, but they did have to have received national attention for some reason.  The guy that he was working with was fascinated by the case against three boys in West Memphis, Arkansas that had been accused of murdering three little boys in what was called a Satanic ritual.  They were known as the West Memphis Three.  James couldn't help but laugh as he and his classmate discussed the case and project.  "Dude, you know that my Dad's band wrote a song about that years ago, right?"

"Disturbed did a song about the West Memphis Three?" the boy asked.

"Yeah.  It's called 'Three'.  It was written from the perspective of Damien Echols, the only one of the defendants that was of the age of majority at that point and the only one sentenced to death."

"Dude, can you send me a copy of that song?"

"I guess.  I think it would be really awesome to put it in the presentation that we have to send in to the professor."

"Agreed.  Can you fix it where it's in the PowerPoint?"

"Of course.  I'm awesome like that."

After the call, he went to work on his part of the research- the details of the first trial.  As he took notes on the lack of evidence the prosecution had, he couldn't help but feel disgusted.  The prosecution really dropped the ball on this one, man.  No murder weapon, the kid that confessed had a below average IQ, the police pressured him and he cracked, then put words in his mouth... total nonsense.  It's a wonder how they got a conviction, he thought as he read the screen.  He'd read page after page of ridiculous crap about the lack of evidence in 1993 and how the boys were finally freed not long after the end of the Occupation.  All of the hard work of their lawyers and the supporters that stood behind them paid off.  On the list of suppoters he saw a couple familar groups of names: Distubed- David Draiman, Dan Donegan, Mike Wengren, and John Moyer; Reckless Disregard- Jordan Draiman, Malachai Draiman, Caleb Johnson, and Logan Moyer.  As a smile broke over his face, his phone rang.  "Yeah, Jake?" he asked when he saw just who it was that was calling.

"Jay, you need to get your ass down here ASAP."

"Is something wrong with Kim or the babies, particularly my girls?"

"Not wrong, no.  I don't know if you can hear the screaming and cursing in the background, but Kim's in labor.  Her water just broke and she's cursing the name of anyone and everyone who's currently breathing that bears or had born the name Draiman.  She's starting to piss me off."

James chuckled.  "Because she's cursing the family name?"

"No, because she's stupid and you know how well I deal with stupid people these days."

"Ok, Jake, I'll be right there.  Forget this project shit.  I can research it later... not that there's much to research.  The births of my children are more important.  I'll see if Mom and Dad can watch Hunter so that I can head out."

"Make it fast.  The nurses tell me that she's got maybe an hour and a half left before she starts pushing.  Make it snappy and I'll do you the favor of being the doctor to deliver."

"I'll be there as soon as I can.  I'm putting my shoes on now and grabbing my keys."

"Ok.  See you when you get here.  And I hope you have names ready."

"I do.  It's my turn to pay homage' to Mom and Dad."

---------------

Jona was seeing Brie for her three month pre- natal apppointment.  Jeremiah couldn't be there, though he desperately wanted to be.  He had teenaged minds to enlighten with history.  So, Jona sat in her mother in law's office alone as they talked about how she was feeling and coping with the pregnancy.  "I think the morning sickness is starting to level off.  I'm not feeling so nauseaous anymore."

"You're also starting to show just a little bit.  Have you noticed your pants fitting a bit tighter or that your shirts don't cover everything that they used to?"

"I have, actually.  It's depressing."

"Jona, it's to be expected.  If you need maternity clothes, then let me know and David and I will help you and Jeremiah out with that.  We'll help you with whatever you need."

"Thanks,  Brie."

"It not a problem.  Now,let's check on that baby.  See where he's sitting and the way he's supposed to and all that good stuff.  It will be a simple pelvic and abdominal exam.  It you're too tender let me know, ok?"

"Yes, Brie."

Jona laid down on the table that Brie used to examine the pregnant mothers she would see before she retired.  The first thing she did was the pelvic exam because something told her that it was only a matter of time before someone opened her office door.  As she palpated Jona's abdomen, the door swung open to David.  "Oh, shit, sorry", he said.  "I didn't realize you were still with Jona, baby."

"Yeah,  Just about done.  She's got to get something to eat soon.  All I'm doing is the abdominal exam", Brie said with a shrug.  She smiled at Jona after she was finished.  "Looks like you're doing just fine.  Keep up with your vitamins and Kegal's and you'l be ready physically for little Matty to arrive in six months."

She smiled.  "Thanks, Brie.  I'm really glad that you agreed to do this.  Hospitals give me the hibee- jibees."

"I understand that.  Hospitals do the same to me, sweetheart.  Now, I suggest you go downstairs and get something to eat.  You're eatign for two, you know, and that means eating more often if you have to."

"Yes, ma'am.  I'm going to go eat now", Jona laughed as she stood and pulled her shirt down over her stomach.  "I'll leave so that you two can talk."

"You don't have to leave Jona.  You're a member of this family too:, David said.  "I was just dropping in to tell my wife that we're about to become grandparents again.  Kim went into labor."

"Where's Hunter?" Brie asked as she sanitized her handed with an alcohol based sanitizer.

"In my office watching a new Disney movie on my computer.  James stopped by, asked me to watch him because Kim was about to have the babies, and booked it before I could even answer."

"You're kidding."

"Nope.  Apparently, Jake called him while he was doing research for a project for class.  He had to leave so that he could immediately start caring for his newborn daughters."

"Fun.  Love it.  You're getting the girl you tild 'Miah he and Jona here had to have when they got started plus one."

"Yeah, I know.  I was just playing when I said that.  Glad that James is becoming a father though.  Now the only boy that has yet to become a parent is Marc."

"David, can you believe that half of our children have made us grandparents already?"

"This is where I take my leave so that you two can sit in amazement.  I need to eat anyway", Jona said as she made her way out of the office .

David and Brie watched her walk out and chuckled to each other.  "She is a trip", David laughed.

"I know.  She's such a joy to have around.  And she makes 'Miah happy, so it's a won win for everyone involved."

"Amen to that."

---------------

James sat in the lobby at the hospital in the labor and delivery ward.  His nerves were on edge as he sat and waited for his brother to come out and tell him that his daughters had been born.  He was on edge.  He was having trouble sitting still.  He heard Jacob yelling at someone down the hall.  "I'm not the Chief of Medicine at this hospital for nothing, your dimwitt.  I have delivered several babies.  I delivered my own son at home in my living room floor.  Now, get the fuck out of this delivery room, Dr. Torres, before you end up having to find another hospital to be the staff OB/GYN at.  Do I make myself perfectly fucking clear?"

"Yes, Dr. Draiman, but you're a neurologist.  When have you delivered babies?" Dr. Torres asked.

"In a hospital?  I delivered ten while in medical school at Johns Hopkins.  I aided in my sister's delivery of her son at my parents house, and as I stated before, I delivered my son.  Now, GET OUT!!"

"HOLY SHIT, I REALLY NEED TO PUSH!" he heard Kim scream shrilly.

James jumped to his feet and began to pace.  He heard his brother directing Kimberly to push, then heard a cry ring through the halls as he breathed a sigh of relief.  The first born was to be Hannah Nicole.  His mother wouldn't like it, but she could get over it.  He heard Jake tell Kimberly to push a few more times and another scream rang out.  Little Josephine Michelle; his little Josie.  He felt his heart leap.  He had his daughters.  He was happier than he could have ever imagine.  Jake came out a few moments later and gave his younger brother.  "Congratulations, little brother.  You have two beautiful daughters.  They're amazing.  You'll fall in love the moment you lay eyes on them."

"I fell in love the moment I heard them cry.  Seeing them will only make it deeper."

"They're being cleaned, weighed, and measured at the moment.  The charge nurse of the nursery will come get you when the girls are ready to finally meet their Daddy."

"Thanks, Jake.  I'm glad you did this for me."

"You're my little brother.  Like I could deny you this.  Get ready to meet your little angels, Jay.  I have to finish walking the floors and finish several reports.  I'll be sure to sign the birth certificates."

James smiled.  "Thanks again, Jake.  Have I told you recently that you're an awesome big brother and I fucking love you?"

"No, but you don't have to.  You make it obvious."  Jake and James hugged one more time and Jake left.  James sat in shock as he waited for the nurse to come get him so tht he could seen his new little angels.

---------------

David and Brie sat at home surrounded by their grandchildren.  Hunter was nervous.  "I've only ever seen one baby before and that was Asher.  I'm really scared", he said.

"Hunter, there's nothing to be scared of.  Your going to be a good big brother:, David told the three year old.

"Do you think Daddy will make me help out with the new babies, Grampa?"

"I doubt it.  He may ask you to help a little here and there, but I don't think that he will make you.  The babies are really little and they can't do anything for themselves.  Remember when Aunt Maddie had Asher?"

"Yeah."

"Well, that's what this is like, but there will be two instead of one."

"And they're little girls, right?"

"Yep.  You have two little sisters now, Hunter."

"What am I supposed to do with little girls?"

"Teach them right from wrong, protect them, be there for them... I'm sure you'll figure it out."

No comments:

Post a Comment