Friday, May 6, 2011

Chapter 59

After hanging up the phone with the guys, David called around to different networks to see which ones would be willing to do a broadcast of the magnitude that they were wanting.  HBO was the only network that was willing to take on the project and willing to broadcast it for free.  Disturbed had done a show through them before and they knew that David, Dan, Mike, and John were good for the money.  HBO was going to contact their affiliates around the world and make it possible for them to broadcast world wide.  All David would have to do is contact them about the date.

After he finished that part of his business, he took a short break to let his wife know that everything was in the works.  He knew that Brie would want to be sure that they were covering all of their bases.  When he walked into the kitchen, he was wearing a huge smile.  "I can't believe we're finally pulling this shit together", he said with a sigh.

"What are you talking about, honey?" she asked when he sat sown at the bar to eat his lunch.

"The show.  I just got off of the phone with the guys and the network that's going to broadcast this thing.  All the pieces are falling into place."

She smiled as she set his plate in front of him.  "That's great.  I'm glad you guys are starting to put this puzzle together.  Any thoughts on who's going to perform with you guys for this?"

"So far, just Reckless Disregard.  You know Jordan's going to want to perform with me during my LAST show."

She laughed.  "Yes, that's your daughter."

"Hey, you helped."

"I thought we agreed that Jordan was your daughter and Jacob was my son", she teased.

He laughed.  "No, we agreed that Marc was your son and Jessi was my daughter, but we never came to an agreement with Jacob and Jordan."

She shrugged.  "I thought we had.  My bad."

"How are you so complacent about it?"

"Well, there's no point in arguing.  We might as well agree to disagree in this matter."

He grinned.  "You're silly.  Have I told you that I love you today?"

"Yes, several thousand times and I've replied each time the same way that I'm going to  right now. I love you too, baby."

He couldn't help but grin as he ate his lunch.  There was nothing more that needed to be said.

---------------

After lunch, David went back up to his office to call Natalia.  He was a little anxious about making the call.  He hadn't spoken to Natalia since the tour that Disturbed had done with Demonatrix.  He still couldn't believe that he had signed them so many years before, but the first time he heard Tasha, Nadia, and Selene play and Natalia sing he just couldn't help himself.  He had to sign them.  Never mind the odd attire the girls chose to wear onstage.  It had worked for them for so long so who was he to complain.  They made Intoxication money, so he wasn't going to complain.

When the phone picked up he couldn't help but smile when he heard Natalia's sultry voice.  "Bienvinedos.  This is Natalia Wadsworth.  Who is the poor soul calling?"

"Nat, drop the act.  It's David."

She laughed.  "Oh. hey, what's up, boss man?"

"Not too much.  Just wanted to check up on you; see what you were up to.  I know you hear a lot more of Danny than you do of me, and I'm the reason you have a record deal."

"Doing pretty good.  Heard through the grapevine that you guys are getting ready to retire."

"You heard correctly."

"I've been discussing the prospect of touring with you guys again with the girls and we all agree.  You guys tour again, we want to go with you."

"Well, if we were touring again, we'd have to take Reckless Disregard along with us because my daughter would pitch a fit.  They've been trying to convince Danny, Mikey, John and I that they're worthy since they got started, but we'd take you along with as well."

"You're not doing another tour?"

"Nope.  Just a final show."

"We're there."

"You don't know any of the particulars and you're volunteering?"

"Well, yeah.  There have been countless times when you and Danny have given us advice and we should have listened.  There were times when we did listen.  We just want to thank you for all of the help you've given us.  If not for Intoxication Records, we wouldn't have a career."

"Very true.  I seem to recall a time when you didn't listen to me and you wore something totally impractical on stage and tried to peel off the layers while preforming."

"Oh, gee, thanks.  I've been trying to forget that and there you go reminding me.  I know now that I should have listened to you."

He laughed.  "Hey, I warned you.  That was all I could do.  Just be grateful my wife wasn't there and couldn't go Mom on you and tell you to change your clothes before she broke her foot off."

She laughed.  "What would she have said?"

"She would have said something along the lines of, 'Excuse me.  Where do you think you're going wearing that?  Onstage?  I don't think so.  You have two seconds to start heading back to the dressing room to change out of that contraption and into something more practical before I brake my foot off in your ass.  Now, get to steppin'."

"Is your wife like that with your children?"

"Oh yeah.  She's worse actually with our children.  She's tough on the children our childre choose to spend their lives with and with children that aren't even ours.  Ask Caleb Johnson of RD."

"He says that you two are like parents to him."

"Because he's in a band with two of our children and he's been Malachai's best friend since the end of the War when we put them in school."

"So David and Brie Draiman are the neighborhood parents. huh?  That's interesting."

"Not really.  It's my wife's bleeding heart and my inability to tell her no."

"How funny.  No wonder you tried to father us when we toured with you.  Your wife's rubbed off on you."

David laughed for the millionth time that day.  "Can't argue with that.  When a couple's been together as long as we have they're bound to pick up traits of each other."

---------------

The show was coming together beautifully.  David had heard, much to his dismay, that the only two remaining members of Avenged Sevenfold were Brian and Matt.  He was saddened to learn about what happened to Zacky and Johnny.  They had been good friends.  He also learned that they had a LOT of trouble replacing James on drums.  "But", Mikey said, "Matt said that he and Brian would be more than happy to be show up and make a guest appearance or two."

"Jordan's been dying to sing 'Nightmare' with him.  And Malachai would gladly play the rhythm part so that Brian could play the lead."

"It seems that Brian is dying to take on the mantle of Synyster Gates again.  And Matt would love to be M. Shadows again too."

"Well, if only for a day, I'm glad we can make that happen.  Listen, Mikey, I've been talking to Brie and we both agree that since we're trying to pull together this huge concert, that we should all celebrate the holidays together."

"We can do what we always do and come out to your place."

"Remember with the size of my family now and the fact that Jona's going to have her parents out this year that I don't have room for everyone to stay at my house."

"That's fine, brother.  We can all get hotel rooms.  It won't kill us, you know."

"That's good news."  David sighed.  "Can you believe that it's almost over, Mike?"

"Yes and no.  It's a bit surreal at the moment, even as we plan it.  Can I believe it's almost over?  Not really; no.  Am I ready for it to be over?  Surprisingly, yes.  We've done a lot in the time that we've been doing this.  We've accomplished more than we ever dreamed of.  More than we ever dreamed possible.  Hell, brother, we ended a civil war.  We brought an illegitimate government to it's knees.  We helped to amass the largest organized civil force known to man.  Forget all of the awards and your recent induction into the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.  That shit alone is more than I personally ever thought we'd do.  And we were just a bunch of guys looking to make our mark in the world.  We were using our music as a weapon like we always have."

David smiled.  "I couldn't agree more.  You know; Brie made me put the Kennedy Center medal in a display case in my office when we got home.  Every time I look at it I think to myself, 'I don't deserve that'. But, nonetheless, I have it.  We should have all gotten one because I didn't do it all alone."

"David, I'll be honest with you.  I don't envy you that medal.  None of us do.  All we did was lay out a foundation for you.  You were the architect.  You were the artist and the music we gave you was the canvas.  You the potter, the music the clay.  You earned that thing.  All we did was give you the tools.  You're the lyrical genius."

"I'm far from a genius, Mikey.  You and I both know that.  I was just pouring my heart into what I was singing."

"Yeah, the music was catharsis for you.  Hell, the music was catharsis for all of us.  It was our way of dealing with the shit too.  Well, that and drinking for me, but that was about it."

"If you say so, brother."  David heaved a heavy sigh.  "Well, I'm about to sit down with Reckless Disregard to discuss set design so I've got to get off of here for now."

"Alright brother.  I'll call Danny and John to tell them about Hanukkah and Christmas.  I'm sure they'll agree with you."

"Sounds good.  Let me know what you get from the other bands once they get back with you."

"Can and will do, brother.  Bye."

"Bye."  David hung up and sighed again.  He wasn't looking forward to talking to his children and nephew, but he steeled his resolve and headed downstairs to eat while his daughter told him about what she and her band envisioned for their stage set up.  If he knew his daughter, she would want a MASSIVE set up.  As long as they're willing to pay for it, I could really care less what they do.  I just need to know so that we can start getting it built.  And with that though, the started down the stairs and to the gauntlet that he knew Jordan would make him run as he thought, I'm getting way too old for this shit.

---------------

"I want a cat walk that I can walk down through the crowd", Jordan said.

"We're already having one made for the all female band that's joining us", David said as he sipped a cup of coffee.  He was inexplicably tired.  He needed a nap.  He could feel it.  He was wondering if Brie would be willing to lie down with him after Jordan was done with her rant about the stage.

"Do you think Natalia would be willing to share the catwalk?"

"Yes.  I know her that well.  She'll be a smartass about it, but she'll share as long as you help pay for it."

"Do you think that Marc will do the A/V stuff for the show?" Malachai asked.

"I'm sure he will if we ask.  Asking works miracles, Aaron.  Keep that in mind.  And, Malachai, you might want to start learning the harmony and rhythm part to 'Nightmare'.  Jordan, you might want to start learning the harmony vocals as well."

"Why?" they asked in unison.

"Because M. Shadows and Syn Gates want to perform that and 'Scream' with you for the show."

"You talked to them?" Jordan asked.

"Not personally.  Uncle Mike talked to Matt and he and Syn are going to be there,"

"What about the rest of Avenged Sevenfold?" Logan asked.

"I'm a little foggy on the details, but they won't be there.  That's all I can say."

"Well, damn.  I can't pick Johnny's brain about bass stuff.  That sucks."

"What matters is that I'll get to pick Matt's brain about vocal stuff.  I've learned all I can from my wonderful father.  It's time to pick the brain of another great.  I'd also love to pick Jonathan Davis and Sully Erna's brains, but I'm sure that won't be happening", Jordan said with a big smile.


"Yeah, they're all older than I am", David said.

The four young people at the table all exchanged a look.  "Did you just admit you're old, Mr. D?" Caleb asked.

David shook his head.  "No.  I"m just saying that Sully and Jonathan are older than me."  In the back of his mind he thought, I'll never admit I'm old to you kids.  I may feel it from time to time, but I'll be damned if I let any of you see or hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment