Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chapter 48

Most of the traditional things that usually happen at wedding receptions happened at Jona and Jeremiah’s wedding reception.  There was the tossing of the bouquet, the cutting of the cake, the traditional first dance of the couple.  Jona danced with her father and Jeremiah danced with his mother.  As they twirled around the dance floor, Brie smiled.  “Who knew you could dance like this, ‘Miah?” she asked.

“It’s been my little secret for many years now.  Makayla used to have me practice with her when she would practice her dance stuff here at home.  I was always the unlucky sap that got conned into it.  Glad I let her do it though.  I learned how to dance; unlike my father.”

“Your poor Dad has two left feet.  He can’t even do the Hora”, Brie laughed.

“Yeah.  Neither he nor Jake are dancers.  They can sway from side to side, but they don’t dance.”
Brie smiled and laughed.  “Jake’s getting better now that he’s got Delilah teaching him.”

Jeremiah spun his mother around.  “I’ll give you that much.  Maybe if Dad dances with Makayla tonight she can give him some pointers.”

Brie shrugged.  “Who knows, ‘Miah?”

There was a tap on Jeremiah’s shoulder.  “May I cut in?” his father asked.

“Absolutely, Dad.”

“Oh, by the way, young man, I heard what you said about my dancing prowess.  I’m not that bad anymore.  Jake’s not the only one that Delilah’s been working with.”

Jeremiah laughed.  “Then far be it for me to keep you from dancing with your wife.”  He kissed his mother’s cheek, then went to find his new wife.  When he spotted her, she was dancing with her brother.  He decided he’d let his brother in law dance with Jona for a little bit longer and danced with his niece Miranda.  She stood on his feet while he twirled them around the dance floor.  She he spun her around, he was interrupted again.  This time, it was by his nephew and Miranda’s twin.  That was it.  He tapped Damien on the shoulder.  “May I cut in, Damien?”

Damien smiled.  “Sure, ‘Miah.  Here’s your wife.”

Jona went to ‘Miah with a smile.  “Hello again, handsome.”

He smiled back.  “Hello to you again as well, beautiful.”  He spun her around.  “You look so angelic tonight.”

She blushed.  “Thank you, baby.”  She stretched up and kissed him.  “I’m about ready for the party to end though.  I’m tired and I want to take my hair down.  I want to get out of this dress.”

“I can always see if Mom would be okay with us calling it a night.  I’d like to get out of this suit.  It’s actually pretty hot.”

“But you look so handsome in it.”  She slipped both arms around his neck as both of his arms slid around her waist.  She stretched up on her toes and kissed him.  “Maybe we should head in.”

“Ok.  I’ll go let my mother know that we’re calling it a night.  Why don’t you go wish your family good night while I do that?”

She smiled at him.  “Ok.  I’ll go do that.  Meet you back here?”

“Sounds good.”  He kissed her once more before they went their separate ways for a few moments.  “Mom, Dad; Jona and I are really tired.  We’re going to call it a night.”

“No problem, son.  You two can go on to bed.  We’re about to put an end to the party anyway.  Your nieces and nephews are starting to drop like flies”, David laughed.

Jeremiah smiled.  “Thanks guys.  I just wanted to let you two know what was going on.”  He hugged his parents and they gave their congratulations.  After he finished telling his parents good night, he had to tell his in laws good and they welcomed him to the family before wishing him good night as well.  Jona hugged David and Brie good night and they welcomed her to the family.  After all was said and done, Jona and Jeremiah made their way into the house for the night.  Once they reached their room, he helped her out of her dress and made sure that it was hanging safely in their closet.  Once they were out of their clothes for the wedding, they laid down in bed and cuddled for a few moments.  He sighed.  “So, Mrs. Draiman, how are we going to spend the rest of the evening?”

Jona giggled.  “I’m still getting used to being the newest Mrs. Draiman.”

He chuckled.  “It will take some getting used to, but you’ll get there.”  He pressed a kiss to her forehead.

She stretched up and kissed his lips.  “I love you, Jeremiah Draiman”, she whispered against his lips.

“And I love you, Jona Draiman”, he whispered in return.  He pressed his lips to hers against and rolled to put her on her back.  Once he knew he could have what he wanted, he made his way down her body, leaving a trail of kisses behind.  As he came to rest between her legs she let out a soft sigh.  Instead of going straight for the main course, he sat up and took her foot in his hand.  His kissed her ankle, then moved slowly up her calf to her thigh and repeated himself on the other side.  He listened as her breathing became more rapid and she cried out softly.

---------------

James sat with his parents at the kitchen table.  Kimmy had already gone to bed for the night.  Being pregnant wasn’t agreeing with her very well.  She was, after all, three months pregnant.  James loved her, though he was starting to wonder if they were meant to be like his brothers and their wives.  They fought far too much, even before she got pregnant.

David sat and drank a cup of coffee after he and his wife ushered everyone out of the house that wasn’t supposed to be there.  Brie sat next to him and sipped a cup of tea.  They both sat at stared at the identical twin of the son that just got married earlier that day.  “What?” James asked.

“Why aren’t we neck deep in planning you and Kimberly’s wedding?” his mother asked.

“What?”

“Your mother didn’t stutter, Matthew.  Why aren’t we planning a wedding for you and Kim?”

James sighed.  “I’m questioning everything with her.  Yes, I love the hell out of Hunter.  Yes, I am anxious to meet my child with her.  Hell, at the next doctor’s appointment we’re going to find out how many we’re having and what the sex is.  But, the further along she gets, the worse the bitching about the way I do things with Hunter gets.  I’m not sure I can take it much longer.”

“James, having a child is a commitment.  Now, granted, your mother and I don’t condone divorce, but you need to decide what you’re going to do.  Are you going to try to work it out for Hunter and the baby on the way, or are you going to end it and decide who’s going to keep the baby once it’s born.  It’s time to make a decision, James Matthew Draiman, and it’s time to do so very soon.  You can’t keep holding this off, James.”

James put his elbows on the table and rested his head in his hands.  “I know, Dad.  I love her.  Don’t get me wrong.  But she is always busting my balls over something I say to Hunter.  For example, just last night she was chewing my ass over our joint decision to pull Hunter from the competition to be ‘Miah’s ring bearer.  And she’s the one that approached me about it.  The more she busts my balls the less I want to be with her.”

“Well, James, I don’t know what to tell you about all of that other than you need to make a decision about what’s going on and do so soon.  Either propose to her or do something.  We’re not going to keep this shit up.  Malachai got Mandy pregnant and proposed not long after.  Jake and Jeremiah both married before having a family of their own.  In Jeremiah’s case, he may not have children.  It’s totally up to him and Jona.  Maddie was married before she had kids.  Jordan was in a committed relationship before having children.  I’m not saying that you have to follow the pattern that your brothers and sisters have set, but you need to make a decision as to what you’re going to do, son.  Are you going to marry her and try to make it work or are you going to leave her?”

James sighed.  “I know.  Thanks Dad, thanks Mom.  I know I need to make a decision.  I’m going to think it over for the next few days and I’ll get back to you.”  He stood.  “I’m going to go to bed.  I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Good night, son”, his parents said.  “Try to get some rest”, his mother added.

“I will, Mom.”  He gave her a hug and a kiss, then hugged his father and went to bed.

David and Brie exchanged a look after their son left the room.  “James!” Brie called. 

He turned around a looked at his mother.  “Yes, ma’am?”

“I have a rather odd question.  Have you signed any paperwork making your Hunter’s legal father?”

“Yeah.  She dragged me into an attorney’s office when we first got serious and Hunter started calling me ‘Daddy’.   I told her that it could back fire on her if she wasn’t careful.  Why do you ask?”

“Curiosity.”

“You know what they say about that, right Mom?”

“That it killed that cat, yes.  But, satisfaction brought it back, my son.”

“I think I know what you’re thinking.  If I do leave Kim, I’m going to fight her for custody of all of the kids.”

“Abe will be happy to take the case, son”, David said,

“I was actually going to ask that later.  Right now, I’m going to go upstairs and crash on my couch and do some serious thinking about everything because it’s been a hell of a day.  My twin brother just got married and knowing him, he’s up there consummating the marriage right now.  What I would give to be happy like that, man.”

“You’ll find that special girl one of these days, Jay”, Brie said.  “Now, why don’t you take your tired ass to bed?”

He laughed.  “Yeah, why don’t I do that?  Good night Mom and Dad.”

“Good night, James”, they said together.  They exchanged another look.  “Wow”, Brie said.

“You can say that again”, David sighed.  “That poor boy has a lot of shit to think about.  I just hope he makes the decision that he won’t regret.”

“You and me both, baby.  I hope that whatever decision he makes; he won’t end up regretting it in the long run.”

---------------

James stretched out on the couch in the room he shared with his pregnant girlfriend and had just closed his eyes when the bitching started.  “Where the fuck have you been?” Kim asked.

“Downstairs talking to my parents.  What seems to be your problem this time?”

“When I come to bed, you need to come to bed.”

“Excuse me?  Do you remember whose house you’re staying in, Kimberly Elaine?  You don’t run a fucking thing in this house.  If you keep acting the way you’re acting, I’ll have my parents ship your ass right back to Chicago after that baby’s born.  You can leave it and Hunter here and expect custody papers in the mail.  I’m not going to keep fighting with you.”

“Look James, as far as we’re concerned, I run this ship.  Not you, not your Mom and Dad, not Jake; ME.  You do what I say.  End of discussion.”

“You’ve lost what’s left of your mother fucking mind, bitch.  I’m a grown man; not a child for you to boss around whenever you feel the need.  Every other guy you’ve been with might have bent to your will for a time, but trust me.  You have officially met your match.  Irresistible force, meet the immoveable object.  You will not continue to act this way with me, pregnant or not.  Check your attitude at the door, baby, because James Matthew Draiman doesn’t play games.”

“The only reason I don’t put your ass out of this room is because to do that, I’ll start yelling and I’m not waking my son.”

“You have no power in this house, Kim.  When is that going to sink into your thick ass skull?”

“Get out”, she growled.

“You get out.  This is my room.  That’s my bed you’re lying in.  Get the fuck out of here.”

She flew out of the bed and started slapping him.  He kept in mind what his father had taught him and did his best not to hit her, but her managed to subdue her enough to get her out of the room and down the stairs to the kitchen.  “I want her gone after the baby’s born, Mom and Dad”, he said as they walked into the kitchen.

“What happened?”

“No sooner than I lie down on the couch in my room and close my eyes than, starts in on me.  She tries to tell me how things run and I told her she’s full of shit.  Things escalate and she starts hitting me.”

“That’s a lie!” Kim shouted.

“You would do well not to lie in my house, Kimberly”, David said.  “I see the red marks on my son.  Do you want to try that again?”

“He hit me first.”

“And I know that’s a lie for two reasons.  One, I don’t see any marks on you.  And two, my boys all know better than to hit a woman because they know the consequences should I ever see it or see proof of it.  Now, here’s what’s going to happen for the night.  James, please do me the huge favor of sleeping down here on the couch.  Kim, you’re going to go back up those stairs and go back to bed.  If you mess with my son again and he loses his temper and knocks you the hell out, nothing I can do about it.  After all of our guests are gone, we’ll move you into a different room.  You and you alone.  After you have the baby and you’re cleared by your doctor, you’re going back to Chicago alone.  You’re leaving our grandchildren here with their Daddy.  If you have any problem with this decision, you can feel free to move out any damn time you please.”
“But, Mr. Draiman, I don’t have anywhere to go.”

“As of the moment you decided to put your hands on my son, that’s no longer my problem.  You don’t hit my children.  That’s a personal affront to me.  Now, if we’re done here, James please move down here for the night.  After your mother and I are up, you can sleep in our room.  Kim, go back to bed.”

“But…”

“My word is final, Kimberly.  Argue with me and there will be dire consequences.  Now, GOOD NIGHT.”
James started for the stairs to grab his blanket and pillow to go to sleep for the night.  Kim stood and stared at David and Brie with defiance written on her face.  Brie spoke.  “I don’t think my husband stuttered, Kimberly.  Go back to bed.”

---------------

James finally lay down on the living room couch and closed his eyes.  He was putting an end to the nightmare that had become his relationship with Kimberly.  Things had started out really well with her.  She didn’t seem like she was this psycho when they first got together.  But, the longer she was around his family the worse she got.  He was positive that it would have gotten bad no matter if they were with his family or not.

When he closed his eyes and took a deep breath to relax into the soft leather of the couch.  The coolness of the leather felt good against his skin.  Leather always helped him relax for some reason.  Must have been the fact that he was the son of a rock star.  Maybe it was just some personal quirk that no one could explain.  He was too tired to speculate.

This has been a rollercoaster of a day!, he thought.  First my twin brother gets married to the other half of his soul, then the girl I thought would be mine proves that the way she’s been acting the last few months isn’t nearly as psycho as she can get and decides she’s going to try to tell me how our relationship is going to be.  When I tell her that’s not how things work around here and she starts hitting me.  Once my child is born and she’s clear, she’s gone.  I’m keeping the kids.  I hope she doesn’t have any more children after mine.  She’s not fit to be a parent.  She only thinks of herself.  Since meeting Hunter, I’ve put that child’s needs before my own.  If we both needed clothes, he gets clothes first.  That’s the way it should be.  That’s the way my parents did things with us.  The child’s needs are always first.  It’s complete nonsense that I’m the one taking care of that boy by myself.  Once she’s not so damn selfish, I’ll have not problem letting her see the kids.  But, until she can put the kids before herself, I’ll ask Abe to be sure that she never sees them again.

He nodded to make the decision in his mind final.  Kim wouldn’t see the kids until she could act like an adult and not a child.  It would be that way.  There were no other options.

No comments:

Post a Comment