Monday, April 18, 2011

Chapter 46

While the women set up for the ceremony, the guys all sat in the house and laughed.  Skyler couldn’t have been happier.  He was in the presence of not only one, but all four members of Disturbed.  He hadn’t stopped smiling since he arrived and saw all four of the guys in David’s living room.

The guys all thought that Skyler was a cut up.  It seemed like every time he opened his mouth, there was a smart assed comment coming out of it.  None of them could stop laughing.  Mike spoke as he was struggling to breathe.  “HOLY FUCKING GOD!  Skyler, you’re such a smart ass!  I love it!”

“I fucking told you guys that he was hilarious”, David laughed.

“Gotta keep life interesting somehow, right?” Skyler chuckled with a chuckle.

“There’s interesting, and then there’s you”, Dan laughed.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Skyler asked.

“You’re so far beyond interesting.  People think that David is always serious.  Little do many people know but he’s actually a really funny mother fucker.  You’re funnier than he is.”

David flipped Dan off.  “I’m glad this marriage is almost over because I hate you mother fuckers!” David laughed.

Skyler looked confused.  “Huh?  What’s going on?  What do you mean, it’s almost over?”

David took at deep breath.  “You bought the most recent album, right, Skyler?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, that’s the last one we’re ever doing.  We’re retiring.”

Skyler’s eyes grew wide.  “WHAT?”

“Yeah.  We’re retiring.”

“So, when is the farewell tour?”

“We’re not doing a farewell tour.  We’re doing one last concert in Chicago and that’s it.”

“When are ticket available and who much?”

“The concert is free of charge to all fans, it’s going to be an all day event, and you, brother, don’t need to worry about tickets.  I’ve got you.”

“You don’t have to do that, David.”

“Consider it my ‘Welcome to the Family’ gift for you and your family, as well as hotel accommodations and travel.”

Skyler smiled brightly.  “Thanks, David.  I appreciate that.”

“No problem, brother.  Like I said, welcome to the family.”

The women made their way in.  “Everything is as set up as we can do for today.  We’ll need you guys to help us finish up”, Brie said when they walked into the living room.

Angela spotted Skyler’s brilliant smile as they walked in and turned to Kaylian.  “Is that your husband?”

Kaylian smiled proudly.  “Yes, it is.”

“He seems like he’s quite the charmer.  I bet you’ve had the beat the women back with sticks.”

“Plenty of times.  Ask my kids.”

“Baby!” Skyler said excitedly.  “Guess what David’s doing for us.”

“What is David doing for us?”

“He’s giving us tickets to the final Disturbed concert and paying for us to go to and stay in Chicago to see it.”

She smiled hesitantly. “That’s great news, honey.”  She looked at David.  “Thank you, David.”  She tried to hide the fact that she wasn’t sure if she wanted to be in the audience or not.

David smiled.  “It’s nothing, Kaylian.”

Brie noticed that Kaylian was hiding something.  “Kaylian, can I talk to you for a minute.”

She smiled.  “Sure, Brie.”

They stood and headed out of the living room and into the kitchen.  “Is everything ok?  I saw your reaction to Skyler’s news”, Brie asked.

“I’m not so sure I want to sit in the audience for the concert, Brie.  I’ll be honest.  I’m not big on concerts.  I’d much rather listen to music from home.”

“Well, I know your children are going to want you to go.  If I tried to sit out on this show, my children, in laws, grandchildren and my husband will all drag me kicking and screaming out the door.  But, I’ll make you this offer, if you want to be safe from that insanity you can chill backstage with me and the other wives.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.  The other wives love you.  If you’re interested, you can hang out with me during the show.”

“I might take you up on that, Brie.  Thank you.”

“No problem.  You’re family.”

---------------

As everyone went to bed, Brie looked at Jeremiah and Jona with what they interpreted as evil on her face.  She pointed at the two of them.  “You two, separate rooms tonight.”

Jeremiah looked at his mother like she’d lost her mind.  “What? Why?”

“One word: tradition.  There’s an old rule that states that the groom should not see the bride on their wedding day until the time of the ceremony.  You two will see each other first thing in the morning.  Anyway, young man, you’re going to help your father, uncles and brothers finish setting up the chairs out at the chapel and the back yard for the reception before you shower and get ready while the women spend a ton of time getting ready for the ceremony.  Do I make myself clear, Alexander?”

Jeremiah laughed.  “Yes, ma’am.”  He looked at Jona.  “We probably shouldn’t argue”, he chuckled.

Jona smiled.  “You’re right.  One night apart won’t kill us.”

Jeremiah looked at his mother.  “Who sleeps where?”

“You’re sleeping in your bedroom and the room next to you is where your beautiful fiancée will be sleeping for the night.”

He nodded.  “That’s cool.  I’ll walk her to her room and we’ll say our goodnights there.”

“No fooling around tonight, you two”, Brie scolded.

“Why not?”

“Because I said so?  Since when do I have to justify myself to you, Jeremiah Alexander?”

He chuckled.  “I’m sorry, Mom.  I’m going to bed, now.  Jona and I have a huge day ahead of us tomorrow.”

“Go get some sleep you two.  Jeremiah, you’re up at 6:30 to eat a little bit of breakfast with your brothers, father, and uncles before all of you finish setting things up.”

“Yes, ma’am, Mom.  I’ll be down here.”  He reached out and took Jona’s hand to go upstairs together so that they could get some rest before their big day.  When they got to their separate rooms, they stopped.  “I really don’t want to sleep without you tonight.”

“But, just think, tomorrow night we won’t have to sleep alone.”

He pouted and stamped his feet childishly.  “But I don’t wanna.”

“Stop acting like a baby, ‘Miah.  It’s just one night.”

He laughed.  “I’ll behave myself, I guess.”

“And tomorrow, we’ll going to finally be married.”

“I can’t wait”, he smiled.  “Well, I should probably let you get your beauty rest so that you can be a vision of perfection tomorrow when you meet me at the altar.”  He leaned down and gave her a kiss good night.  “I’ll see you at the altar, love.”

“And I’ll see you there, baby.”  She stretched up and kissed him again.  “Good night, my ‘Miah.”

He brushed a lock of hair from her face and traced his fingertips down her cheek.  “Good night, my Jona.  Wo ai ni.”

She smiled.  “I love you too.”  She kissed him once more before going into the bedroom to go to sleep.

He watched the door shut and felt his heart sink just a little.  It was the first night since they’d been living together that he’d slept without her.  He was not looking forward to the prospect.  He already had a feeling that the night was going to be rather restless.  He would need to comfort of having her next to him.  He sighed quietly and went into his room.  After turning on the TV and putting in a movie, he laid down in his big, empty bed and waited to drift off to sleep.

---------------

“They did not look happy about that”, David said quietly to his wife.

“More like he did not look happy about that”, Brie whispered in return.  “But I’m sure he’ll have forgiven me for it by morning.  And if not, he’ll have forgiven me by the ceremony.”

“I don’t think he’s mad at you, just not looking forward to sleeping alone.”

“You and I did it the night before we got married.  And by that time we’d had eight kids.”

“Yeah, all four boys crammed into bed with me that night.”

“And I had all four girls in bed with me, baby.”

“But, it was worth it.” he sigh.  “You officially became my wife that day.  They’ll be glad tomorrow that they had to sleep apart tonight.”

“I hate to interrupt, but what are you two going on about?” Skyler asked after clearing his throat.

“Your son in law’s reaction to being told that he and your daughter couldn’t share a bed tonight”, Brie said with a sigh.  “But, I’m sure he’ll get over it.  He’s not the kind of person to stay mad for long.”

“He didn’t look mad, just disappointed”, Kaylian pointed out.

Brie shrugged.  “True.  He doesn’t stay disappointed for long either.”

“Seeing as we’re doing this somewhat traditionally, what about the something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue?”

“One of the combs that’s going to be in her hair tomorrow is rather old.  It was my grandmother Cartwright’s.  The garter she’s wearing underneath her dress is brand new and blue.  All she needs is something borrowed, but I think my girls have that under control.”

“You guys have really taken her in as a part of the family, haven’t you?” Skyler asked.

“We have”, David said with a nod.  “She’s the woman that Jeremiah has chosen to spend his life with.  That make her, and all of you, family.”

“You’re all really too kind”, Kaylian said with a blush.

“It’s just the way we are”, Brie said.  “When our children find that special someone that completes them, we do everything in our power to make that person, and their family if they have any, feel like they’re a part of us.  We’re not really an exclusive club or anything like that.  Everyone’s welcome.”

“And that makes you a bunch of very special people.  I can see why Jona’s so comfortable here”, Skyler said.

“Because we make her feel welcome.”

“And for that, we’re very thankful.”

---------------

He tossed and turned all night.  He couldn’t sleep without her next to him, but he understood why.  His mother liked to keep with as many traditions as she could.  He just wished that for once his mother would have forgotten about the one where the groom’s not supposed to see the bride until the wedding.  He needed to comfort that his fiancée brought him.

As he flailed, he dreamed.  Again, he saw the same little boy that he’d been seeing for almost a year.  The details were stark and completely in focus.  Straight brown hair and blue eyes, the Draiman nose… and he could tell that the little boy was going to be tall.

He reached out and picked up the little boy.  “Are you my little Matty?” he asked the little boy.  He got no answer.  What the hell is going on here?, he thought to himself.  This isn’t normal.  I can see every detail in perfect clarity, but I’m still not getting an answer for the boy’s name?  I’ll try this.  “Matty?  Matty Ryan”, he said aloud and the little boy turned toward him and smiled brightly.  My son, he thought to himself.  The smile the boy wore was his Jona’s smile.  He had her eyes and hair; his nose, cheeks and you could tell that the little boy was going to be tall.  He was going to have ‘Miah’s height.  Tears came to Jeremiah’s eyes as he held the little boy close.  “I can’t wait to meet you, Matty boy.  You’re Mama’s a little nervous about your arrival, but I’m sure she’ll be happy to see you too.  You’re going to be so spoiled by Gramma Brie and Grampa David, and Gramma Kaylian and Grampa Skyler, and all your aunties and uncles.  It’s going to be hard to keep up with all of it.  But, I’ll be there to help you keep your feet on the ground, little Matthew.  Daddy loves you very much and you’re not even real yet.  I’ll wait for you and I know already that you’ll be so spoiled it’s not funny.  Gramma Brie and Grampa David wouldn’t have it any other way, as I’m sure Gramma Kaylian and Grampa Skyler won’t.”  He nuzzled the little boys cheek with his nose and put him back down.

When he came to, he jolted awake as usual.  He wiped his eyes and knew that he’d awaken crying.  It wasn’t often that he cried, much like his father and brothers.  It wasn’t that it was more macho not to, it was that he just didn’t do it.  But, he knew not to try to stop the emotion that leaked from his eyes.  It was pure and unadulterated.

He climbed out of bed to clean off the sweat that he was sure decorated his body and face.  He walked down the hall to the bathroom and cleaned off with a wet washcloth.  He stared at his reflection in the mirror.  “Get a hold of yourself, Jeremiah Alexander Draiman.  You’re going to be ok.  You’re just going through the pre-wedding jitters.  Everything will be just fine.”  He took a deep breath, wiped his face, chest and arms with the washcloth, and went back to bed.

As he walked toward his room, he walked past the room where the woman who would be his wife was sleeping.  He cracked the door opened quietly and saw her sleeping peacefully.  Carefully, he crept into the room and carefully sat on the edge of the bed.  He smiled softly at the vision he saw before his eyes.  She is so beautiful when she sleeps.  Angelic even.  What have I done to deserve such a beautiful angel in my life?  He brushed a lock of hair from her face being careful not to wake her, leaned in and kissed her cheek softly, then quietly left the room to let her sleep.  He went back to his room and put another movie on after checking the clock.  Only two more hours until I have to get up and help my Dad, brothers, and uncles finish setting up for my wedding.  By the end of the day, that beautiful young woman in the next room will be my wife and not just my fiancée.  My xi fur.  He took a deep breath and sighed as he relaxed into his pillows and considered going back to sleep or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment