Monday, April 11, 2011

Chapter 41

An hour and a half later, after Candy and Lilah had given them a hot stone massage, David and Brie were sitting in a cozy little waiting area awaiting their lunch.  Apparently, Maddie had thought of everything for the day of relaxation.  “Who knew Delilah was such an awesome therapist?” Brie said.

“I’ve gotten a massage from her before.  The stones were a shock, though.   I thought it would feel like they were giving me a massage with rocks.  I’m rather surprised that it didn’t”, David commented.

“I’ve been trying to tell you that.  Have you listened to me?  No.  I’d only been doing it for nearly forty years”, she teased.

He chuckled.  “I know, baby.  I can’t help but be a skeptic.”

She shrugged.  “I guess I can’t blame you.  But, David, when you’re wife’s a massage therapist you really ought to listen to her more often.”

“I do listen”, he laughed as he took a sip of the water that had been brought to them.  After the hot stones, they’d each been given a bottle of water so that they could rehydrate after sweating in the sauna and getting their massage.

Before Brie could respond, there was a fondue pot with skewers of meats and breads on a tray brought in to them.  “This is a little something to snack on while you wait for your entrees”, Shannon said as she set the tray on the table in front of them.

“Thank you, Shannon”, Brie said with a smile.  Once Shannon was gone, Brie turned back to David.  “You do when you feel like it”, she said with a laugh.

He reached out and grabbed one of the skewers with meat.  “When have I not listened you something you’ve told me to do?” he laughed.

“I can think of a few occasions, David Michael.”

“Name one.”

“How often do you do those stretches that I told you to do for your neck and Pecs?”

After eating the cheese covered meat, he stared at the floor.  “Not very often.  I don’t about it.”

“See, you listen when you feel like it.”

“More like when I think about it.”

“Semantics, David.”  She dipped a cube of bread into the cheese and ate it off of the skewer.

He laughed, but changed the subject.  “So what did Shannon say was after this?”

“You’re getting your toes done, baby”, she laughed.

“Oh yeah.  I still think that I’d look freaky with false nails.”

“Then don’t get them”, Brie said as she struggled to breathe from laughing so hard.

“I think I’m going to go with black on my toes though.”

Brie had been taking a drink of her water.  After he said what he did, she spit the water all over the place.  “GOD DAMN IT, DAVID!”  She laughed so hard she was grasping at her ribs.  “Fuck, I can’t breathe!”  She put an elbow on the table and covered her face with her hand as she laughed.

“What?  I’m being honest”, he laughed.

“Stop being a retard, baby.  You’re not painting your nails.”

“You’re right, but I got you to laugh.”

“Was that your goal today?”

“One of a few.”

She rolled her eyes and shook her head.  “You’re such a goober, baby.  What would I do without you?”

“Fuck if I know.  Like I said the day before we left for Israel, you’re life certainly wouldn’t be as interesting.”

“Sure as hell wouldn’t.  You and I both know that.”  She sighed.  “Can you believe it’s been 30 fucking years, David?”

“Didn’t I just ask you that last night?”

“I wanted to make sure that we weren’t hallucinating.”

“Believe me, we’re not.  It feels like it sometimes; then we do what we did in that sauna earlier.”

She giggled.  “Are we going to have a repeat of that sometime later?”

He shrugged.  “Not necessarily a repeat, but we can reenact it if you like.”

---------------

“Maddie, you’re parents are hilarious”, Candy said after she finished filling out her notes from the massage.  “You’re Dad’s a total cut up.”

“I tried to warn you that you should have stuck with Mom”, Delilah laughed.

“What did my father say during the hour and a half the two of you were trapped in a room with him and my Mom?” Maddie asked.

Candy laughed.  “MAN… I don’t know where half of the shit he said even came from, Maddie.  I can’t even remember half of it.  We were all laughing too hard.”

“Really?”

“Maddie, sis, who knew Dad had such a sense of humor?”

“I grew up around him cracking jokes here and there.  What did he say though?”

“He started going on about storm chasers and how they were stupid for chasing tornados.  He talked about a guy on some social network that had invited him to go along.  He told the guy, ‘Ju crazy, mang’ and the guy kept persisting”, Candy laughed.

“And Jake says Dad’s not Robert Di Niro”, Maddie said with a shake of her head.

“Who?” Candy asked.

“You know… the Godfather.”

“OH.”

“So what are they up to now?”

“I just came from checking on them and Mom was laughing hysterically at something Dad said”, Delilah said with a grin.

“Do you know what he said?”

“No, but I saw Mom spit water all over the grotto.”

“I wonder if he’s still going on about the nails thing”, Candy chimed in.

“Nails thing?” Maddie asked.

“Shannon told me that he was joking around about false nails earlier and what color he should get on his toes when they get the mani/ pedi in a little bit.”

Maddie laughed.  “Why am I not surprised?  That sounds like something my father would pull.”

“Like I told you Maddie, he’s a fucking cut up.”

“And you know what?  He’s just Dad to me.”

“Are you telling me that you don’t think your Dad’s funny as hell?”

“I’m not saying that.  I’m just saying that it’s part of the whole ‘Dad’ persona.  At home, he’s a cut up, constantly flirts with my Mom, and all that good shit.”

“Yeah, I’m with Maddie on that one”, Delilah said.

“Oh, Maddie, Delilah, did you guys know that man is David Draiman of Disturbed?” Candy asked.

Maddie and Delilah exchanged a look and laughed.

---------------

As husband and wife sat in the room where the manicures and pedicures were done and were getting pampered.  The manicurist working on David’s hands was worried about the calluses on his hands.  “How?  How did this happen?”

“I hold a microphone for a living, girl.  That’s bound to build calluses.”

“I feel like I should be shaving the hooves on a horse.”

“Trust me, my hands aren’t NEAR as bad as my late brother in law’s were.”

“How bad were his?”

“There wasn’t a surface of my brother’s hands that weren’t callused”, Brie commented as her feet were being massaged.  “Now, if you scrub off those calluses, young lady, I’ll be PISSED.”

“Then how am I supposed to give him a manicure?”

“Just give him a hand massage and clean out from under his nails.”

She sighed and put the tools down and started massaging David’s hands.  “If say so, Mrs. Draiman.”

“I say so”, Brie nearly growled.

David decided to lighten the mood again.  “At least my feet aren’t as bad as my hands.”

Brie laughed.  “Hell, you’re feet are in better shape than mine are.”

“You walk around bare or stocking footed how often?” he said with a laugh.

She shrugged.  “Most of the time.”

“And you’re bitching…?”

“I’m not.  I’m just stating fact.”

He shrugged.  “Just checking.”

She rolled her eyes.  “Smart ass.”

He laughed.  “Would you rather I be that or a dumb ass?”

Brie covered her face with her free hand and laughed.  “Are you feeling particularly cantankerous today, baby?”

“No.  Not cantankerous.  Just… feisty, I guess?”

She laughed again.  “I thought I was supposed to be the feisty one.”

“Spirited then?”

That got him a smile.  “Spirited works.”

“I’m just enjoying the day.  It’s not often that I get to watch you enjoy a massage or relax.”

“And you’re making everyone roll in the floor.”

“Are they laughing their asses off?”

“I know while we were in the massage room Candy, Delilah and I were.  Apparently, these girls don’t’ have a sense of humor.”

He looked at the young woman that was giving his wife a pedicure.  She was trying not to laugh.  “She does”, he said as he pointed at her.

Brie looked down at her.  “Sweetie, if you think he’s funny, you can laugh.  It’s not a sign of unprofessionalism.  Your boss laughed at him.”

“It’s not that, Mrs. Draiman.  It’s that I’m trying not to stare.”

“You’re trying not to stare at whom?”

“Your husband.”

Brie laughed.  “Stare, sweetie.  I don’t care.  I know who he’s crawling into bed next to, so you can stare all the hell you want.”

“No, I can’t.  That would be unprofessional.”

“Do I have something on my face or something like that?” David chuckled.

“No.  You’re just a very handsome man.  Hell, I’d even go so far as to say you’re sexy.”

David actually blushed.  “Ah, jeez.  Girl, you do realize that I’m old enough to be your father, if not your grandfather, right?”

“Oh, yeah, I realize it.  That doesn’t change the fact that you’re hot.”

He couldn’t help himself.  He laughed until he couldn’t breathe.  “That’s fucking priceless!”

---------------

The day of rejuvenation was over.  They were finally back at their hotel room getting ready for another dinner date at Shangri- La.  David looked like a rock star, as well he should have.  He was one after all.   Even in a suit, he looked like a rock star.  He wore a nice simple black suit with thin grey pin stripes and a green shirt underneath, and a dark tie.  The sleeves of his shirt bore simple silver cuff links.  His shoes were spit shined.  He did not, however, wear his signature double labret piercings under his bottom lip.  He didn’t care about being dressed to the nines- though he was.  The only person he wanted to impress was his wife.

Brie however was dressed to kill, though it was simple.  The green wrap around halter dress she wore was elegant.  She wore black two inch heels, which put her at 5’5”.  She’d pulled her hair up with a claw clip and wore the emerald necklace that their first son together had bought her on his honeymoon a few years before, as well as she charmed bracelet.  Her makeup was, as always, understated.  She stood in the bathroom of their suite and stared into the mirror.  She wanted to make sure that she looked perfect.  It was, after all, their thirtieth wedding anniversary.  She wanted to be able to walk out of that bathroom and make his heart stop- figuratively speaking, of course.  It’s all about timing, she thought to herself.  Catch him when he’s least expecting it.  That’s the way it’s supposed to go.  It’s the way it’s always gone.  She didn’t make the same mistake she’d made the night before and wear lipstick.  She wore the same clear gloss that she’d replaced the lipstick with.

There was a knock on the bathroom door.  “Baby, the limo’s here.”

“I’ll be right out, love.”  She grabbed a powder brush and added a small amount of shimmer to her chest and neck, making sure that she didn’t dust the pendant or chain of the necklace she wore, and made her way into the main part of the suite.  “Ok, let’s go.”

He stopped breathing and blinked at her, slack jawed.  “What the…?” he asked when he remembered how to breathe.

She smiled, hiding the satisfaction in her eyes and on her face.  She’d gotten the reaction she wanted and knew she would get.  “Do you like it?”

“Hell no.  I love it.  God damn, woman.  How do you do it?”

“What do I keep telling you?  I know what buttons to push and how to push them.”

“Are you telling me that this was intentional?”

She snapped her fingers and smiled.  “Damn, got caught.”

He smiled and brushed the back of one finger down her cheek.  “Intentional or not, you’re gorgeous.”

She reached up and caressed his face with her full hand.  “And you’re very handsome tonight”, she said as her thumb ran over his cheek bone.  “Shall we go meet our cab so that we can go enjoy dinner and that show you wanted to take me to?”

“We shall, but as of right now that show is up in the air.  We might come straight back here after dinner.”

“Whatever makes you happy, baby.”

“What makes you happy makes me happy.”

“Then make me happy and let’s go to dinner.  I’m hungry.”

“Your wish is my command, love.  Let’s go eat and see where the night takes us.”

No comments:

Post a Comment