Friday, March 25, 2011

Chapter 33

James cautiously knocked on the hotel room door and waited for his girlfriend to open it.  When he heard the door locks turning he finished the text he was sending his twin telling him to keep an eye out for the SOS.  He stuffed his phone back in his pocket as the door came open.  “Hi, Jay- jay.  Thanks for coming.  I really needed to talk to you”, Kim said.  She stepped out of the way so that he could come in.
He walked through the door and did something that was a signature of his father’s.  He crosses his arms over his chest.  “Well, I don’t have long.  Jake said he could only watch Hunter for about two hours before he had to get ready to go to work.  He’s gotta make stops at both hospitals tonight.  You have my undivided for an hour.  Let’s get down to brass taxes, Kimberly.  Why am I here?”  He remained standing as he waited for her to start speaking.
“Well, first of all, I wanted to apologize, again, for being so horrible to you.  I was trying to do better then out of nowhere I became this evil, unbearable harpy that no one should have had to put up with.  I am very, very sorry for the way I treated you.”
He nodded.  “Apology accepted.  Now, what is this huge bombshell that you didn’t want to drop on me   over the phone?”
“You might wanna sit down for this, Jay- jay.  I’m sure that what I’m about to tell you will take your knees out from under you.”
“To take a line from my parent’s playbooks, get on with it.  The foreplay is getting rather boring.  Just say it, Kimberly.  Remember, I don’t have all fucking day.”  He was struggling not to lose his cool.  It was bad enough that he had to be so guarded with her because he loved her.  All he wanted was for her to be his and to be hers.  But, she had to be insufferable.
She took a deep breath to steady herself.  “James, like I told you over the phone.  I know why I’ve been acting the way I have.”  She pulled the tiny white stick from her purse.  “James, I’m pregnant.”
James didn’t hear the last part of what she said.  The world became white noise through his shock.  “Does that say what I think it says?” he asked.  “You’re pregnant, aren’t you?”  He looked up to see her nodding.  She mouthed, that’s what I just said.  Aren’t you listening to me?  He sat down on the bed and picked up the little stick.  He stared at it.  He couldn’t help it.  OH MY FUCKING GOD”, he said.  I’M GOING TO BE A FATHER.”  He looked at Kimmy.  “Pack your things.  I need to get you back to the house in enough time to talk to Jake.  I think his decision is that one that lets you back into the house.”
“Your Mom told me to have Jake call her and your Dad once I have my head on straight.”
James nodded.  “Ok.  That’s fine.  Just grab your things and let’s get you checked out of here and back to the house.  I’m sure that once Mom and Dad hear this they’ll let you back in.”
All Kimmy would do was nod as she gathered her things and got ready to leave.
As she got ready to leave, James sent Jeremiah a text.  ‘Miah, she’s coming back and she has a bombshell for everyone.  Break out the ‘gars, bro.  Break out the ‘gars.
---------------
The phone ringing woke them both from a dead sleep.  Didn’t people realize that they were on a different side of the planet?  As David jolted awake, he cursed himself for not putting his phone on vibrate or silent so that he and his wife could get a peaceful night’s sleep.  He snatched the phone off of the bedside table in the hotel room and answered it with a sleepy growl.  “HELLO?”
“Dad, I know it’s late over there, but this is important”, the voice of his son Jacob said.
“It had better be or you’re a dead man when I get back there, Jacob Micah.  You now have my undivided attention.  What can I do for you?”
“I’m calling about Kimmy.  Apparently, she’s figured out why she was such a bitch the last few days you and Mom were home.”
David growled under his breath.  “I’m all fucking ears, Jacob!  Spill it before I kick your ass when I get home.”
“She wants to tell you herself.”
“Then put her on the fucking phone, Micah.  It’s not that fucking hard.”
“Mr. Draiman”, the sheepish voice of Kimberly said as she spoke.
“What’s going on, Kim?  Make it fast.  My patience is wearing thin.”
“I figured out what’s going on.  I was hoping you and Mrs. Draiman could come home so that I don’t have to tell you over the phone.”
Brie reached up and snatched the phone from her husband.  After turning the speaker on, she spoke rather curtly.  “If you don’t speak and make it quick, I’m killing people when I get back there.  We were dead asleep.  What could be so fucking important that you couldn’t wait until we were up for the day?”
“Mrs. Draiman”, Kim said shyly, “I’m pregnant.”
“WHAT?” the Draiman’s said in unison.
“Yes, I’m pregnant.  I’ve been so horrible and insufferable because I’ve been hormonal.”
“Does James know?” David asked.
“Yeah, Dad, I know”, James said.  “And I’m stoked.  This is the first time since you know who died that I’ve been excited about the prospect.”
“Well, Mazltov to both of you.  We’re going back to sleep.  James, I pray to God that you plan on doing the right thing.  Get Kimmy settled back into the house and we’ll see you when we get back.  GOOD NIGHT”, David said curtly, then hung up.  He and his wife settled back into the bed and were back to sleep in no time.
---------------
James, Kim, Jake, and Jeremiah all exchanged a look.  “Well, that went over well”, James laughed.  Kim headed upstairs to get settled back into the room she shared with James and Hunter.
“Yeah, if you call well waking up a pissed off grizzly in the middle of his winter nap, then I’d have to agree”, Jeremiah said with the shake of his head.  “And you’d think the two of you would know better than to wake Mom and Dad when they’re sleeping.  They’re getting older.  They need their rest.”
“I’m telling Dad you said that”, Jake laughed.
“And I’ll take that ass kicking that comes with it.”
Jake just shook his head and laughed.  “That’s rich.  Well, kids, I’ve got to get ready for work.  Being the boss at two separate hospitals tends to be a bit if a bitch and this is thankfully the only night I have to combine the two.  When Delilah gets back from the clinic, let her know where I am if she asks.  I’m going out back to shower and get ready to go to work for the evening.”  And with that, Jake walked out the back door and out to his little apartment in the back.
“It must be nice to have that old pool house back there”, ‘Miah mused.
“Yeah, but I can imagine that having two children back there makes having Mommy and Daddy time a touch difficult.”
“Not as quiet as Delilah is.  She and Jake don’t get loud from what I understand.”
“Not like Mom and Dad or Maddie and Colton.”
“Yeah.  The ONE night those two stayed over here, I wished that Dad had sound proofed Maddie’s room so that I didn’t have to hear it.”
“I bet.  It’s nice to be at the other end of the hallway from her room.”
“You know what I’m dreading, Jay?”
“What’s that, ‘Miah?”
“Jessi starting to date seriously.  I mean, she’s going to have a hard enough time of people trying to take advantage of her because of her name and the poor girl is so damn innocent.  I think she’s going to be the first of all of us kids to marry a virgin.”
“Yeah, and the day that happens hell will freeze over.”
“The day a Draiman marries as a virgin?”
“Yeah.  You obviously don’t know what your baby sister does in her spare time.”
“Oh?  Then, please enlighten me, twin brother.  Is there some little piss ant jock that could never hold a candle to you after our baby sister?”
“Oh no, ‘Miah.  It’s worse than some locker jockey.  I’d welcome a locker jockey.”
“Oh, shit.  I’m officially afraid.  What is he?”
“’Miah, promise me you won’t get pissed.”
“I’ll do no such thing.  You’ll spill it or I’ll beat it out of you, James.”
“He’s an aspiring rock star.”
“Dad will never go for it.  He’ll kill the kid first.”
“The fact that he’s defiled his baby girl before even bothering to make an attempt to come to the house to introduce himself won’t help the boys case in Dad’s eyes.  Jessi is THE BABY.  Dad won’t stand for that shit.”
“No kidding.  May God have mercy on that poor boy’s soul.”
---------------
When young Jessi finally came in for the evening, she was stared down by four of her five brothers.  Jake was at work, so that left Malachai, James, Jeremiah, and her twin Marc.  The living room was dark, lit only by a lamp that sat on the end table.  It was the lamp their father usually used to write when he was working in a new album and needed the peace and quiet.  “Have a seat, Jessykah Danyelle”, Malachai said darkly.  Jessi sat down in poorly lit room and looked at her brothers.  Malachai started.  “Normally this would be Jake’s job, but seeing as he’s at work and I’m kinda like the next in line to be in charge, I’m filling in.  Now, James has informed all of us that you’re dating some little punk wannabe rock star that doesn’t have the decency to introduce himself to any of us as while he’s screwing you.  What do you have to say about this?”
“That it’s really none of any of your business, ‘Chai.  Who I screw is who I screw.  You guys don’t have to like it.”
“Oh, I’d LOVE to hear you say that to DAD were he here”, James said.
“I wouldn’t say it to Dad because he’s the patriarch of our family.  He is the head of the Draiman clan.  You don’t disrespect the alpha.”
“And if it were Jake having this little chit chat with you rather than us?”
“He’s Dad’s beta.  He has rank.”
“Oh, really?” Malachai said.  “Fine, Jake will be home shortly.  He had a short night at the hospitals.  We’ll fill him in when he walks in and you can explain yourself to him.”
“Fine.  Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go get a shower while we wait on Jake to get home.”  She stood from where she was standing and went for the stairs. 
“Oh, I bet Dad’s going to want to hear about this”, Jeremiah said once his baby sister was out of ear shot.
“Who wants to bet me money that Dad flips his lid when he finds out?” Malachai asked.
James and Jeremiah exchanged a look, then spoke in unison.  “We don’t take fools bets, ‘Chai.”
Malachai laughed.  “It’s been a LONG fucking time since you two have done that.”
Marc had remained quiet through the whole thing.  Jeremiah couldn’t help but notice.  “Marc, what’s on your mind, little brother?”
“My twin and the punk she’d dating.  I can’t wait until he finally shows his face on the property.  I’m going to beat him within an inch of his life.”
“Damn!” Malachai said in shock.  “You don’t like him, do you?”
“Let’s just say that I’m not his biggest fan.”
“Do you know him?” James asked.
“Yeah, he went to school with Jessi and me.  His name is Jeremy Caldwell.  He fancies himself a modern day version of Dad.”
“Our father’s a one of a kind”, Jake’s voice said from the door.  “Now, what’s the importance of young Mr. Caldwell?”
“He’s dating Jessi and he hasn’t bothered to come introduce himself to us or Dad.  What’s more, he’s bragging that he’s banging the David Draiman’s baby girl.  Thinks that’s going to get him some sort of clout to get a record deal.”
“Wait until Jordan hears about that.  She’ll rip his head off herself”, Malachai said as he rolled his eyes.
“Oh, Miss Jessykah and I are going to have a talk”, Jake said as he shrugged out of his lab coat.  “JESSYKAH DANYELLE!” he shouted.  “LIVING ROOM; NOW!”  The end of the shout sounded like a roar.  Jake wasn’t happy to have to be dealing with this after having just walked in the door from work.
Jessi came down the stairs in a pair of pajama pants and a tank top.  “You bellowed, Jacob?”
“Lose that tone and park your ass.”  Jake wasn’t fooling around.  He was going to get answers.  Once Jessi was seated, he gave her a hard stare.  “From the top, tell me about this boyfriend of yours.  Skimp in NO details; understood?”
She looked at him blankly.  “His name is Jeremy Caldwell.  He sings for this little punk type band called Foresight.”
“How long have you two been together?”
“A few months.  We started seeing each other about a month after I got back from the Olympics.”
“And he knows who you are, who your father is- all that good shit; right?”
“Yes.”
“Are you sleeping together?”
“I don’t see how…”
ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION, DANYELLE!
Jessi’s eyes shot open wide.  “Yes.”
“Why hasn’t he been over here to introduce himself to Dad?”
“Do all of my older sisters bring their significant others home to meet Daddy?”
“Yes, as a matter of fact.  All of them have.  Jordan has brought every single girlfriend she’s had home to meet our parents.  Maddie’s brought her boyfriends home to meet Dad.  Meagan brought her boyfriend home over the holidays as did Makayla.  You, dear baby sister, are the only one of us to have a, quote, ‘significant other’, unquote, and NOT bring them home.  How do you plan to rectify this, Jessykah Danyelle?”
“I… don’t… know?”
“Wrong answer.”  Jake pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and gave their parents a call before getting ready for bed.  He’d had a busy day and it wasn’t getting any better.  All he wanted to do was crawl in bed next to his wife and go to sleep.  This shit’s going to give me a fucking ulcer, I swear, he thought as he waited for his mother to answer her phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment