Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chapter 13

David finally emerged from his office with is glasses in his head.  “THREE CHAPTERS IN ONE FUCKING DAY!” he said in relief.  “FINALLY, I’M DONE FOR THE DAY!”
Brie smiled.  “That’s good news.  How many chapters do you have left to do before you can send that part of the draft off?”
“Two.  The Fuzz era and the health shit I dealt with during that period between Ten Thousand Fists and Asylum.”
“Where are you going to put in meeting your soul mate?”
“Chapter 7 is going to be my ever so charmed love life and finally finding my soul mate”, he said with a wink as he bent down to kiss her cheek.
She smiled.  “You’re so funny, David.  Now, you might want to take your glasses off of the top of your head before you lose or break them.”
“I’m not going to do either.”
“Says the man that’s gone through three pairs of glasses in the matter of nine months”, she sipped at a glass of jasmine tea.
He laughed as he reached up and took his glasses off of his head.  “You’re right.  I hate that I have to wear glasses.  They make me feel old.”
“I think you look sexy, but what do I know?  I’m only your wife.”
He wrapped his arms around her shoulders and pressed a kiss to her temple.  “And yours is the only opinion that matters.”
She smiled.  “Good.  Now, I have a question and I know you don’t want to think about the Kennedy center thing, but I’m wondering and it’s killing me.  Are you going to wear your glasses that night for the ceremony?”
“I don’t know.  Maybe, maybe not.  What do you think?”
“I’ll tell you the night of as long as you promise me that you’ll follow my opinion, no matter what it may be.”
“You mean to tell me that if you tell me to wear them, I have to wear them and if you don’t then I don’t have to wear them?”
“Exactly.”
He shrugged.  “That’s a promise I can live with making.”
“Have I ever made you make a promise that you couldn’t live with making?”
“No.”
She sighed in relief.  “That’s good news.”
After David took a seat on the couch, Jordan squatted next to him and put her head on his shoulder.  “Daddy, you know I love you, right?”
He looked at the 28 year old woman whose head laid on his shoulder in amusement.  “What do you want, Jordan?”
“You to record with me before you retire.”  She smiled sweetly and batted her eyes at him.
He couldn’t help but laugh at the look on her face.    “When you look at me so sweetly and bat those big brown eyes at me, how can I tell you ‘no’?” he joked.
Jordan pouted.  “But, Daddy, it would REALLY mean a lot to me…”
“I’ve noticed something about you girls.  Would you like to know what that is, Jordan?”
“Sure.”
“That word, ‘DADDY’ is the most dangerous word in the English language when used by one of you.  You can make it sound so sweet and innocent, but so fucking guilt- ridden all at the same time.  How do you do it?”
“Because I’m your first little girl, let alone your first born child, and you love me, and if you don’t do this I’ll be mad at you forever.”
David started laughing so hard that he had to lean forward and rest his elbows on his knees after her covered his face with his hands.  “Geez, Jordan, there’s no need to BEG!  All you had to do is ask.”
“Daddy, will you record with me before you officially retire?”
“Of course, I will Jordan.  Like I could deny you that.”
---------------
After dinner that night, when everybody went to bed, Jona talked to her fiancé about that she and Maddie has just spoken about that afternoon.  “Maddie offered to let me buy a piece of the business as a full partner with her and Delilah.”
“Really?  What did you say?”
“That I wanted to talk to you before I said yes or no.  I wanted to make sure that we weren’t going back out Chicago."
“Only long enough to pack up the apartment, beautiful.  The lease is up and I’m needed here.  I’m going to get that online degree in history like I said I was going to do after we get back out here and settled.”
“So, would it be ok if I bought part of the business from your Mom with Maddie and Delilah?”
“I’m ok with it.  Find out how much it’s going to be.  We can get it out of our savings as long as we replace it.”
She smiled.  “Really?  Do you mean it, ‘Miah?”
He brushed his hand across her cheek.  “Of course I do.  I don’t say things unless I mean them, baby girl.”
She stretched up and pressed her lips to his.  “Thank you”, she whispered against them.  She kept kissing him softly and her hand slip lightly over the skin of the bare skin of his chest and stomach.
He responded in kind; he was sure of what she wanted this time and he gave it to her.  He rolled and laid her on her back, settling between her legs.  Since they’d first been together, they’d taken to sleeping without their clothes on.  His lips detached from hers as he kissed along the edge of her collar bone and back up her throat to her ear.  She let out a soft sigh as he started back down her throat to her collar bone and from there down her stomach.  He rested between her legs and gazed up her body before laying a gentle kiss on the outside of her opening before giving her a tongue bath.
----------------
James was lying in the couch in his room with his blanket thrown over his legs as he read a magazine article from Sports Illustrated.  He was still upset over the argument with Kim earlier and refused to share a bed with her as long as he was steamed.  Hunter was soundly sleeping in the toddler bed and Kim was curled up in the bed.  “James, can we please talk?”
“You want to talk, then talk.  I’ll listen, but don’t expect me to play nice should you start getting loud.  I mean, if this is going to get loud, then we need to head on out back and I’ll call Jake to apologize ahead of time for yelling and waking up his kids.”
She sighed.  “I’m sorry about earlier, James.  I shouldn’t have reacted like I did and I should have talked to you in private rather than in front of Hunter.  I’m still adjusting to having you around and not having to do it on my own.  You’ll have to be patient with me, honey.  I love you and I don’t want to lose you because of my stupid pride.  Please forgive me.”
James had looked up from his article in Sports Illustrated to listen to what she had to say.  “Kim, you have to realize at some point that if I’m supposed to BE that boy’s Daddy, then you need to let me do that.  I’m not going to hurt him and I’m not going to let anyone else hurt him.  I’m not always going to be his favorite person because I’m the Daddy.  Believe me, my father wasn’t my favorite person when I was a kid- especially not as a teenager and I’m being lenient with him.  My parents have far more strict rules for my nieces and nephews.  They’re being understanding and accommodating because Hunter’s the newest grandchild, but it’s not going to be much longer before they start cracking the same whip with him that they crack with the rest of them. Hunter isn’t going to keep being the new grandchild for long because Maddie’s baby is on the way.”
“I know, Jay- Jay.  I just need to relax and get used to having someone that’s there to take that burden off of me.”
“Then let me do what I’m here to do, baby girl.  I can’t do that if you’re stepping on my toes every time I say something to him.”
Tears welled up in her eyes.  “I’m trying, James, I really am.”
He couldn’t stand to see a woman cry.  It always killed him.  He was a sucker for a woman in tears.  He sat up and laid the magazine on the couch before standing up to walk over to the bed to comfort her.  “Kimmy, baby, you’re a strong woman and a good mother.  I understand that you’ve been Mama and Daddy for the last three years, but you don’t have to do that anymore.  All you have to do is play Mama and let me handle the Daddy stuff.  Just let it go.  My shoulders are pretty broad and can handle it.”  He pulled her into his arms.
Her head laid on his shoulder and she sobbed her uncertainties and insecurities into his strong shoulders and chest.  The only thing he could do what let her cry.
---------------
“I can’t believe the crazy shit that’s happening now that we’ve come back from Israel”, Brie giggled from out of nowhere as she curled up against David’s chest.
“What do you mean?” he asked over his book.
“Jordan wants to record with you, you’re being honored by the Kennedy Center for the Arts, you’re working on that book, one of our children just got engaged, one is following in your footsteps and raising a child that’s not his, one of our girls is about to have a baby… things are insane right now, baby and they just keep spinning.”
He smiled as he reached out to put his book on his bedside table.  “Yeah, I have to agree.  It’s been pretty insane the last little bit since we’ve been back.  But, this is our family.  Would you have it any other way?”
“No.  I love this insanity.  It’s organized chaos.”
“Isn’t that where things are so hectic that they seem to just fall into place?”
“Yeah, something like that.”  She sighed.  “Ok, honey, I want your honest thoughts on the Kennedy Center thing.”
“I don’t deserve it, plain and simple.  I’m just me; David.  That’s all I can ever be.  I don’t need a medal around my neck to tell me that.  Granted, I’m a highly outspoken man who’s very passionate about what he says, but that’s just who I am.”
“Baby, it’s that passion and the fearlessness that you have to speak out, and the passion you feel about what you say that got you nominated for this honor.  It’s the fact that you’re not afraid of controversy that got you nominated for this honor.”  She sat up on her elbow and looked him in the eyes.  “David, there is no one more deserving of this honor than you.”  She leaned in and pressed a her lips to his.
His hand came up to caress her cheek.  “What did I do to deserve you?” he whispered against her lips.
“You’re a good man, David Draiman.  That’s all you had to really be to get and keep me.”
Can I keep you?”
“You’ve had me over nearly thirty years, David.  Where am I going to go?”
“I don’t know”, he laughed, “Timbuktu?”
“If I wanted to go to Timbuktu, I’d had have gone already”, she laughed.  They touched from forehead to nose.
“So, I can keep you?” he chuckled.
“I don’t see why not, handsome.”  She kissed him, her lips moving against his to let him know exactly what mood she was in.  She wanted to be with her husband and she didn’t care what she had to do to get what she wanted.
It wasn’t hard for him to get the message.  He knew what was going to happen when she first sat up.  She was that transparent at times.  But, he was going to be on top.  He rolled her onto her back and took control of the situation.  He thrust his hips forward and entered her, stealing her breath.  Like many before it, this was going to be a night she would never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment