Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Chapter 12


As Brie and Jeremiah set about organizing the portion of the ceremony, Maddie and Delilah had other plans up their sleeves.  “She’s a holistic nutritionist and an herbalist; she does aromatherapy and rain drop therapy, Lilah.  We need her.  She’s a CERTIFIED nutritionist”, Maddie said to Delilah one afternoon.

“It certainly would take the burden off of you for all nutrition consults.  But do you think she’ll do it?” Delilah said.

“Jeremiah doesn’t want to go back to Chicago.  I think he said he’s planning on doing online classes in history to snatch up a BA in that.  He apparently wants to be a teacher.  If he’s going for online classes rather than going back to Chicago to Loyola, then I’m sure she’ll want something to do while he’s busting his ass over homework.”

“Well, the sell isn’t official until after the baby is born and you can go back to work.  How does Colton feel about playing Mr. Mom while you work?”

“He’s doing some online work with some county commissioner so, he has no problem playing Mr. Mom while I work away from the house.  We bought a breast pump and a chilled carrying case in case I have to pump at work.  We’re about as prepared as we can get right about now.”

“That’s good.  Always be prepared.  So, when do you think is a good time to approach Jona about this?”

“Tonight before family dinner.  Mom’s actually forbidden me from talking business at the table.”

“Oh, she made that mandate with you too, huh?”

“Yep.  So, when we got over there for dinner tonight, you and I can pull her aside and see if she wants to go in on the Draiman Wellness Center with is.”

“You do realize that Mom’s going to HATE that name, right?”

“Well, after my baby is born she has no say in the matter.  We came up with the idea, we have the moneys set aside for everything we need.  Prices are set.. nothing more we can do.”

---------------

When Maddie arrived with Colton that night she smiled as she watched her mother and younger brother plan out the Kennedy Center ceremony honoring her father.  “Is there anything I can do to help?” she asked as the waddled over to sit next to Jeremiah and Jona on the couch.

“Actually, there is”, Brie said.  :Call Jordan and see when she’s going to be here; and then start thinking of six songs that you think define your father’s career and made him the notorious vocalist and songwriter that he is today.”

“Fran what era of his career; Pre- Occupation or Post- Occupation?”

“Pick one Madison.”

“Oh, Jordan just text me, Mom, and said that she’s pulling into the drive now and that she needs to talk to Dad about something before talking to us about the ceremony”, Jeremiah said.

“Dad is not to be bothered.  He’s working on that damn book I told him not to do.”

Jordan walked in.  “Mom, I’ll be right with you.  I need to talk to, Dad.”  She went for that stairs.

“FREEZE, JORDAN HANNAH!”Brie shouted.  “You father is not to be interrupted.  Disturb him and  you will deal with me.  Understood?”

“What is he doing?”

“Working on a deadline for that fucking book.”

“The one you told him not to take, but he did any way?”

“Yes, and because we went out of the country for a month, he now has to buckle down and bang out six chapters in the next week, print it out, and send it via courier to his publisher.”

“How much does he have done?” Maddie asked.

“I have no idea.  He had MAYBE the first chapter done before we left got Israel.  His outline that he sent in said the first two chapters were going to be his life pre- Disturbed.”

“Exciting!” James said from the stairs.  It was clear from his tone that he was being sarcastic.

“James Matthew Draiman, stop being a sarcastic ass before I kick you in it”, Brie scolded her son.

“Sorry, I’m just in one of those moods.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Kim and I are fighting.  I got on to Hunter for trashing my room constantly and she didn’t like my tone.  So, I told her that we need to take an hour or two to reconsider what we want from this relationship and if I’m supposed to be a father figure in the boy’s life or not.  If so, then she needs to give me some leeway with him and not undermine me at every fucking turn.”

Brie sighed.  “Do you want me to talk to her, Jay?”

“If you don’t mind, Mom.  I mean, did you go through all of this shit with Dad and Malachai?”

“Actually, you should talk to your Dad to see if I did that to him.  I don’t believe I did.  I let him step into that mantle and let him be.

James nodded.  “Can you talk to her for me please, Mom?  It’s going to make me crazy.”

“Not a problem, James.”  She looked at the rest of her gathered children.  “Let’s give planning this thing for your Dad a break.  I’m going to go handle this Kim issue real fast.  I’ll be right back.”  And she walked off toward the stairs.

---------------

“Jona, can I talk to you in private for a minute?” Maddie asked her soon to be sister in law.

Jona looked Maddie in confusion.  “Sure.”  She leaned into Jeremiah for a moment and kissed his cheek.  “I’ll be right back, honey.”

“Ok.  I’ll be right here”, he said with a crooked smile and kissed her cheek.

Jona stood and helped Maddie to her feet, then followed her to the Kitchen.  “What did you need, Maddie?”

“Delilah and I were talking earlier and we were wondering if you would be interested in going into business with us as a full partner.”

“What?”

“Look, Jona, you have a GREAT skill set and we need you.  You’re a holistic nutritionist.  We can use that at the clinic.  You do rain drop therapy.  I blow with oils.  Those are Mom’s thing and she’s retired.  I think the only person she does any of the things she did as a therapist for is Dad.  And she’s going to deliver my baby when he or she is ready to pop out in a month or two.  That’s it.  We need you Jona, and I’m not ashamed to admit it.  Would you be interested in buying an equal share of the business from Mom and being a full partner with Delilah and me?”

Jona smiled.  “I would.  That would be great, but I think I should talk to ‘Miah first to see if we’re going back to Chicago after the summer is up or not.  I think out lease out there is almost up and we might be moving out here so that he can get some work.  Apparently, your brother wants to teach.”

“Didn’t he also want to go back to school?”

“I think so.  He mentioned online courses in World History specializing in Ancient Civilizations.  I think it’s just that he’s home sick.”

Maddie laughed.  “Well, talk to ‘Miah and give it some thought.  You have at least two months to make a decision.  Mom’s not officially selling to Lilah and me until after I’ve had the baby.”

Jona smiled.  “Sure, no problem.  Thanks for offering.  I’m flattered.”

“Not a problem.  When you’re good, Jona, you’re good.”

---------------

Brie knocked softly on the bedroom door.  “If that’s you, James, I don’t want to see you right now”, Kim said through the door.

“I’m not James, and you had BETTER watch your tone with me in my house, Kimberly”, Brie said back.

“I’m sorry, Mrs. Draiman”, she said after opening the door.  “Come on in.”

Brie walked in and looked at the room.  “This room looks like a hurricane blew through it, Kimberly.  What happened?”

“Hunter tore it up.”

“Did you get on to him for it?”

“I was just going to clean it up.  I mean, he’s three.  He’s going to make messes.  James doesn’t seem to get that”, Kim said with a roll of her eyes.

“Kim, how many nieces and nephews does James have?”

“Six?  What does that have to do with anything?”

“You’ll see my point in a moment.  How old is the youngest one?”

“Two.”

“Do you see Ira or Levi making horrible messes and NOT cleaning them up?”

“No.”

“And they’re younger than Hunter.  Now, if Ira and Levi can pick up after themselves, then why can’t Hunter?”

“I see your point, Mrs. Draiman, but James doesn’t have to yell at him.”

“What is James’ role in that child’s life?”

“He’s the only Daddy Hunter knows.”

“Then get out of his way and let him do it.  Believe me, I know what you’re going through.  I had the exact same instincts when David stepped into that role with Malachai.  Every time I heard David take a harsh tone with Malachai, I wanted to rip him a new asshole.  ‘Don’t you yell at my boy like that!’, I wanted to say, but when David signed the adoption papers and officially made Malachai his son, I knew I had someone who would treat me son like he was his own.  James was taught to do that should he run into a woman like you, in the situation you’re in.  I’ve been there; I know how hard it is.  But, James loves Hunter with all of his heart and I can tell that Hunter loves James.  You need to just get out of James’ way and let him be that boy’s Daddy.  It’s going to be hard, believe me.  But, you’ll get used to it.”

“But, Mrs. Draiman, I’ve been doing it by myself for three years.”

“I did it alone for five, and ran my own business.  I’ve been there, Kimberly.  If my son is supposed to be Hunter’s Daddy, then you need to let him step into that role and not undermine him in front of Hunter.  I’ll be totally honest.  There have been times when David would make a call about the kids and I didn’t like it.  I didn’t say anything in front of the kids about it.  We talked about it in private.  I told him what I didn’t like, he told me what his thought process was behind it, and we would agree on what was best for the kids.  Sometimes he was right in what he said; sometimes I was right; sometime we were both right; and sometimes neither of us was right.  But, we never undermined each other in front of the children.”

“So, what should I do?  I mean, I love James, I truly do, but I don’t want him yelling at Hunter.”

“Well, for one, you talk to him privately about it.  Secondly, you realize that sometimes children need yelling at.  And third- and this is really the more important part- you realize that every little boy needs a Daddy and that there are times that Hunter’s going to listen to James a lot better than he’s going to listen to you because James is a disciplinarian.  You’re a nurturer.  I had to realize that really quickly with Malachai when David came into our lives.”

“I’m scared I’m going to lose James because of the things I said to him.”

“James doesn’t want to end things with you.  You and Hunter mean far too much to him.  All you have to do is tell him you’re sorry and that you want to try to make things work.  Tell him that you realize that you should have spoken with him about his tone with Hunter privately rather than in front of him.  And, most importantly, tell him you love him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment