Friday, March 11, 2011

Chapter 20

Over the next few days Damian sat and watched Jeremiah.  He watched how he interacted with his parents, siblings, nieces and nephews- and most importantly, his big sister.  Damian was very protective of Jona.  She was so kind hearted that he wanted to be sure that Jeremiah wasn’t going to take advantage of that.  He wanted to be positive that Jeremiah Draiman wasn’t going to do that same typical thing that most rock star kids did and just use his sister and toss her like yesterday’s trash.

Jeremiah couldn’t help but notice Damian staring him down.  He knew what Damian was doing.  He was doing the same thing to the two young men that had come home with his twin sisters.  Shawn Carmichael and Brent Williams had another thing coming if they thought that they were going to disrespect any of the women in his family- least of all his mother and the sister they were dating.  But, that was a concern for another moment.  “Hey Damian”, he said.  “I can’t help but notice that you seem to be trying to stare a hole through my chest, dude.  What’s on your mind?”

Damian couldn’t help but laugh.  “Damn, got caught”, he said.  “No, brother, I’m just trying to make sure you’re going to treat my sister right.”

“Just trying to be sure that I’m not just another spoiled rock star kid, right?”

“Yeah, something like that.  You seem like you’re a pretty chill guy.”

“You have to be in this family, bro.  I’m surrounded by hot heads.  My Dad, Malachai, Jordan, Maddie, James, Meagan, and Jessi are all foul tempered.  You have to know how to handle it and just let it roll.”

“Sounds like you have it down to a science”, Damian laughed.

Jeremiah laughed back.  “Nah, it’s more of an art form than a science.  Just ask my Mom.”

“You’ll do”, Damian said.

“What?”

“In regards to Jona.  You’ll do.  Welcome to the family, man.”

Jeremiah couldn’t help but be sarcastic.  “Yes!  Not only do you have her Dad’s approval but I have little brother’s approval, too!  I’m on a ROLL!”

---------------

As the Draiman and Mason family prepared for Thanksgiving, Jake and Marc put the finishing touches on the video for the Kennedy Center ceremony that you take place in two weeks to honor their father.  Marc and Jake spent a lot of time in the basement studio working.  Marc would be in the control booth and Jake would be in the sound booth.  The video would play and Jake would speak.  There were places where Jake would just let the audio from the videos that Marc had butchered to make the montage play so that the speeches or singular quotes would drive his point home.  Finally, they were done.  “Hey, Jake, did you want to see the magic we composed?” Marc asked over the intercom.

“Fuck yeah, and I’m sure that Mom will want to see it too.”

“Go get Mom while I get it queued up to the beginning.”

Jake took the head phones off and headed up to the kitchen to get his mother.  Unfortunately, his father was in the kitchen as well.  “Mom, Marc and I are finished with that one thing you’ve had us working on since he got home.”

She nodded.  “Ok, Jake.  I’ll be right down.”

“What have you had them working on?” his father asked.

“I seem to recall someone wanting to be surprised when he went to the Kennedy Center so he needs not ask questions”, her mother said before kissing the love of her life on the cheek and heading down into the studio to watch the video.

---------------

She stood over Marc’s shoulder and watched the video he’d put together for his father.  She heard many familiar sound bytes from when the War and performance before and after.  She was moved nearly to tears when she listened to the ‘Never Again’ speech all over again.  She had been so proud when her husband had originally given it and that pride swelled in her chest when she heard it all over again.  When the five and a half minute video ended, Brie kissed both of her sons on the temples.  “It’s perfect.  It sums up your father’s life and career perfectly.  Jake, that last part where you say something about, ‘Though he’s a multi- platinum recording artist, and has countless awards to his credit; I know for a fact that his proudest achievements are the ten children he raised.  I know that I can speak for all of us when I say that I’m proud to be able to call David Draiman my father and say, ‘We love you, Dad.  Congratulations’.  That was perfect I’m sure that your father will be moved to tears.  I know your father all too well.”

Jake smiled at his mother.  “That was kinda the goal.  I want to be standing backstage and look up at that balcony to see him wiping his eyes.”

“You’ve achieved that goal.  I know you’re father will be moved.”

“I just hope that he likes it”, Marc said.  “I’ve busted my ass on this video.”

“I’m sure he’ll love it, Marc.  Don’t worry.”

---------------

The night before Thanksgiving, Jeremiah and Jona lay sleeping.  He held her as close as he physically could as she lay with her head on his chest.  She felt his arm convulse around her shoulders ad knew that something was wrong.  “’Miah”, she said softly as she tried to wake him, but she got no response.  “Jeremiah.”  Still no response.  Ok, this is starting to worry me, she thought and started to shake him gently.  And still, he didn’t stir.

Jeremiah was lost in a dream.  He was seeing a little boy with blue eyes and straight brown hair with hints of red.  There was definitely a resemblance there between himself and the little boy.  Who are you?, he asked silently.  The answer he got was the impression that the child he was seeing was his son whom had yet to be conceived.  He wanted to wait until he had a wedding ring on his left hand before he and Jona started having children.  I thought I’d give you a peek at the little boy whom you’re going to pass this gift on to first, he heard the voice of his mother’s father say.

Geez, Grandfather, you just had to do this to me while her parents are in the house for the holiday.  Thanks a lot”, he said.  His irritation in his voice.

Jeremiah, please don’t be upset with me, grandson.  I’m just trying to give you fair warning.

So, seeing as you’re warning me ahead of time, I’m just curious as to if there is a long lost family member that you want me to name my first born son after?”

’Miah”, he heard from behind him to the other side.  “Give him my first name and let her pick the middle name.

Uncle Matt, I thought you only appeared to Maddie”, Jeremiah said with a glance over his shoulder.

Makes sense, I guess.  Maddie’s usually who I go to because she needs her temper checked.  I’m helping your grandfather out tonight.  No worries.

Ok, that makes sense, I guess.  Is there anything else?   The woman I love seems to be freaking out a little bit.

Ok, Jeremiah go on ahead and gets some sleep.”

No comments:

Post a Comment